LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

07-26-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by languagehacker View Post
No native English speaker in America uses that word anymore in daily conversation, at least not in the same sense that the Japanese use it.

I can already tell by what you wrote that English is not your native language. It's like a Japanese trying to sound American.
Excuse me?

If you want to point out which parts of my post specifically make me sound like my native language isn't English, that would be great.

I've heard the term "dandy" used more than once in recent years, but I guess that depends on your level of education and which topics specifically you are studying. The term arose more than once in my 19th Century French History class, as well as several other European history classes as well.

Maybe you were offended by the suggestion that the word isn't as obscure and archaic as you were hoping it was, but don't try and insult my intelligence because of it. Of course the word isn't used "in daily conversation". When did I say it was? The word "Kitsch" isn't used in daily conversation either, but that doesn't mean that it isn't used at all.

Furthermore, "like a Japanese trying to sound American." Really? There are plenty of Japanese people who speak, read, and write near flawlessly and that statement sounds as if you are implying impossibility of the notion. Masaegu and Nagoyankee could write circles around you in both languages.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

07-26-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
Excuse me?

If you want to point out which parts of my post specifically make me sound like my native language isn't English, that would be great.

I've heard the term "dandy" used more than once in recent years, but I guess that depends on your level of education and which topics specifically you are studying. The term arose more than once in my 19th Century French History class, as well as several other European history classes as well.

Maybe you were offended by the suggestion that the word isn't as obscure and archaic as you were hoping it was, but don't try and insult my intelligence because of it. Of course the word isn't used "in daily conversation". When did I say it was? The word "Kitsch" isn't used in daily conversation either, but that doesn't mean that it isn't used at all.

Furthermore, "like a Japanese trying to sound American." Really? There are plenty of Japanese people who speak, read, and write near flawlessly and that statement sounds as if you are implying impossibility of the notion. Masaegu and Nagoyankee could write circles around you in both languages.
And I would be able to tell that they're not native speakers just by looking at what they wrote.

Watch Japanese music videos with translations on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/nextgenv...i?feature=mhee
(#13 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

07-26-2011, 04:20 AM

"All the pics are real, I assure you, Madam. Camels were brought there for the tourists but the sand dunes are real. Japan is larger than many people tend to think and is geographically pretty diverse."

Oh yeah, look at how choppy that is. And you really called it right with me too!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-26-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by languagehacker View Post
I used to subscribe to GQ, and when I think of metrosexual I think of those images that I see in it.

Word Spy - metrosexual

I think the only people who make a connection between metrosexual and gay are those kinds of people that don't really understand fashion or can't afford to dress well.
Aaaand welcome to my blocked list.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
languagehacker (Offline)
JF Regular

07-26-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Aaaand welcome to my blocked list.
All I did was quote someone else? Oh, I get it, you're homophobic.

Don't worry, your ugly face won't be missed.

Watch Japanese music videos with translations on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/nextgenv...i?feature=mhee

Last edited by languagehacker : 07-26-2011 at 04:50 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-26-2011, 05:27 AM

And... Let`s not turn this into some sort of flame war.

My understanding of the meaning of ダンディ is that it is high-fashion masculinity.
A man with a well trimmed mustache, who is muscular, but who is very fashion conscious would be considered ダンディ in Japan.
I do not believe that the meaning has a really direct link to the past meaning in English.

I will go completely against what KyleGoetz is saying - ダンディ is a lot closer to GQ than "metrosexual". Think fashionable without any femininity. (To me, metrosexual means some embracing of feminine features for the sake of fashion.)
Looking at some random GQ covers on GIS and finding that there are some that are the very epitome of what I would consider ダンディ.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-26-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post

I've heard the term "dandy" used more than once in recent years, but I guess that depends on your level of education and which topics specifically you are studying. The term arose more than once in my 19th Century French History class, as well as several other European history classes as well. .
Same. I'm british but I've heard it, used it and in fact know several guys who would be described as such. Who actually use the word to describe themselves.

Around here the difference between dandy and metrosexual is that 'metro' part. Metrosexualism is urban male grooming, essentially. Designer cuts and trips to the beautician. It's a little androgynous, a little... herbivorous. Metro's dabble with makeup.

Dandies tend to go more with the old-fashioned ideals of gentlemen's fashion. It's eschewing designer jeans in favour of a waistcoat and trousers. Metros are usually clean shaven or else have a little designer stubble, Dandies are more likely to rock a good moustache and/or sideburns (neatly kept, of course). And Dandies can lurk in the tiny rural villages.