JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chiraky (Offline)
New to JF

learning japanese question - 07-26-2011, 12:04 AM

hi everyone,

i have been into the japanese language for quite a while now and im thinking of learning japanese trough a course, but before i do so i was wondering what kind of future is there in knowing japanese english and dutch. anyone with experience here who can tell me how many options there are with translating stuff? i would love it to translate stuff from japanese to english or dutch, or the other way around. i just need to convince the people around me its worth it ... they want to know what kind of options there are and im pretty curious myself to. so basicly to make the story short, anyone with experience here who can tell me more about the kind of jobs i could get and how high the chanche is that i will actually get a job in this direction?

greetings chiraky
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

07-26-2011, 12:39 AM

There are plenty of people knowing English and Japanese, not sure about Dutch. However, not all of them are skilled translators. It does not matter what the direction of the market is, if you are good. A skilled translator will find a job easily. Especially in Tokyo.

I have few friedns (both, foreigners and Japanese) who are translators, and some of them make very good money without leaving their house.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-26-2011, 02:00 AM

There is plenty of work for skilled translators in Japan, especially those with specialized knowledge (especially technical fields, such as ones involving computers). I did quite a bit of translation in Japan.

Your Japanese doesn't need to be perfect, for translation you will of course be relying a lot on your computer, but it does needs to be good enough that you can speed read, simply because the deadlines imposed on you will often be insane.

Anyways, your future is what you make of it; if you want a future with Japanese, you will have it. If you want a future with just any language that can make you money, there are probably better choices.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)