JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   あんた (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/38635-%E3%81%82%E3%82%93%E3%81%9F.html)

Maxful 08-01-2011 12:12 PM

あんた

Hi, while I was watching 黄金の豚 (Dorama), I realised that Tsutsumi Shinko keeps referring "You" as "あんた". I would like to know if it is rude to use "あんた"?

Also, I don't understand why Kadomatsu address Kaneda as "Kaneda chan" when he is a man? Shouldn't "kun" be used instead?

SHAD0W 08-01-2011 12:29 PM

To my understanding, Chan is used when people are really close friends, regardless of gender.

I have seen あんた as.. like.. a shortened version あなた used in informal conversations, usually by female speakers? I have very limited knowledge though?

masaegu 08-01-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxful (Post 874309)
Hi, while I was watching 黄金の豚 (Dorama), I realised that Tsutsumi Shinko keeps referring "You" as "あんた". I would like to know if it is rude to use "あんた"?

It CAN be rude if the speaker chooses to be. Point is the rudeness is not in the word itself. Lots of moms call their kids with the word and so do many schoolgirls with one another.

Quote:

Also, I don't understand why Kadomatsu address Kaneda as "Kaneda chan" when he is a man? Shouldn't "kun" be used instead?
Do you really think they would repeatedly use a word wrong in a drama? So many people check the lines before the airing.

delacroix01 08-02-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Depending on the context, it can be rude or not. There is more to it than just the word. You also need to notice the tone of the speaker to be completely sure. あんた is used very often in drama, manga, anime and games, and in many case, it doesn't mean that the speaker is rude.

Quote:

That's actually very common, especially when it comes to fiction.

Maxful 08-02-2011 11:04 AM

Thanks for the help, guys.

Am I right to say that "あんた" can be used by both genders but mostly is used by women?

Also, what exactly is the different between "くん" and "ちゃん"?For example, "太郎くん" and "太郎ちゃん".

masaegu 08-02-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxful (Post 874417)
Am I right to say that "あんた" can be used by both genders but mostly is used by women?

More often, not "mostly".

Quote:

Also, what exactly is the different between "くん" and "ちゃん"?For example, "太郎くん" and "太郎ちゃん".
This is a tough one because there is no rule regarding the usage.

Much of it has to do with one's general personal preference. Be careful with 「ちゃん」 when addressing or referring to someone's kid. If you do not know his parents all that well, use 「くん」. Using 「ちゃん」 COULD throw them.

Maxful 08-02-2011 02:09 PM

Thanks again, masaegu.

Maxful 08-02-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masaegu (Post 874437)
Be careful with 「ちゃん」 when addressing or referring to someone's kid. If you do not know his parents all that well, use 「くん」. Using 「ちゃん」 COULD throw them.

I had forgotten to ask what if the kid is a little girl (whose parents I do not know well), should 「ちゃん」 be used instead?

masaegu 08-02-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxful (Post 874445)
I had forgotten to ask what if the kid is a little girl (whose parents I do not know well), should 「ちゃん」 be used instead?

Yes, it's quite alright with girls.

Maxful 08-02-2011 04:17 PM

Thanks, masaegu.