JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
banny8 (Offline)
New to JF

Kanji help, please - 08-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Through research I have found 幸福 to translate to "happiness."
However, I was wondering if each symbol by itself has a specific meaning? For example, does each one represent a various form of "happy" that when placed together form the above meaning? Thanks for any help.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-03-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banny8 View Post
Through research I have found 幸福 to translate to "happiness."
However, I was wondering if each symbol by itself has a specific meaning? For example, does each one represent a various form of "happy" that when placed together form the above meaning? Thanks for any help.
First, I hope you are aware that 幸福 is not originally a Japanese word but it was borrowed from Chinese. In Chinese, kanji compound words do NOT always work like math. In fact, many two-kanji words consist of two kanji with very similar meanings. 幸福 belongs in this group. If you do not do this, too many Chinese words will be single-syllable long, making it extremely difficult to use for aural communication.

The dictionary meanings of each kanji are as follows:
幸 fortunate, lucky
福 good fortune, happiness
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
幸福 belongs in this group. If you do not do this, too many Chinese words will be single-syllable long, making it extremely difficult to use for aural communication.
Well that answers a long-standing question I've had with words like this. Thanks!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Wow, what a coincidence! We also borrowed exactly the same word into Vietnamese In case anyone needs to know, the word is "hạnh phúc", which has the latter half sounding very similar to its Japanese counterpart (福). I think this is one of the cases in which the borrowed words has the same connotation in different languages, unlike with the words whose meaning changed over time.

Last edited by delacroix01 : 08-04-2011 at 10:36 AM.