JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SolCon (Offline)
New to JF

Correcting this translation. - 08-09-2011, 08:35 AM

In my previous topic "Translation on card game's card", I was told to make an attempt first.

So.. not knowing any Japanese, I looked for each symbol in the picture and produced it in text form and arranged it in exactly the same manner as the picture:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My text format:

説得
怪獣を説得!!
即時
反逆したロ未方怪獣を
1ターソの聞卸える。
その怪獣は、 ターソ
繁了時にプールに戻る

I'm pretty sure I've gotten them all correct, except for two particular Kanji symbols. These are circled in red in the picture. I'm hoping for 2 things:

1) Could someone tell me if the two kanji symbols are correctly matched, and if they are not, what kanji to replace them with?
2) If there are any other errors where the text does not match with the text in the picture.

Also, I got this translation from Babel Fish:

"Persuasion It persuades the monstrous beast!! Immediately The [ro] not yet one monstrous beast which revolts Hearing wholesale trade of 1 [taso] you obtain. As for that monstrous beast, [taso] It returns to the pool at the time of complex Ryo"

Which makes little sense.

If a translation can be done too, that would be great.

Any help is appreciated.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-09-2011, 09:54 AM

I can see you have made a few mistakes in deciphering the pic, but that's to be expected from a beginner. Here's the content :

説得
怪獣を説得!!(Persuade the monster!!)
即時
反逆した味方怪獣を1ターンの間抑える。
その怪獣は、ターン終了にプールに戻る (That monster will return to the pool at the end of the turn)

For the middle sentence, I need more information to translate it properly, since I'm neither a native speaker nor an advanced learner to figure out what is being said with just that alone. Can you tell me more about the game you are playing?

Last edited by delacroix01 : 08-09-2011 at 10:00 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-09-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolCon View Post
In my previous topic "Translation on card game's card", I was told to make an attempt first.

So.. not knowing any Japanese, I looked for each symbol in the picture and produced it in text form and arranged it in exactly the same manner as the picture:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My text format:

説得
怪獣を説得!!
即時
反逆したロ未方怪獣を
1ターソの聞卸える。
その怪獣は、 ターソ
繁了時にプールに戻る

I'm pretty sure I've gotten them all correct, except for two particular Kanji symbols. These are circled in red in the picture. I'm hoping for 2 things:

1) Could someone tell me if the two kanji symbols are correctly matched, and if they are not, what kanji to replace them with?
2) If there are any other errors where the text does not match with the text in the picture.

Also, I got this translation from Babel Fish:

"Persuasion It persuades the monstrous beast!! Immediately The [ro] not yet one monstrous beast which revolts Hearing wholesale trade of 1 [taso] you obtain. As for that monstrous beast, [taso] It returns to the pool at the time of complex Ryo"

Which makes little sense.

If a translation can be done too, that would be great.

Any help is appreciated.
Original vs. What you typed:
味 >> ロ未
ン >> ソ
間 >> 聞
抑 >> 卸
終 >> 繁
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SolCon (Offline)
New to JF

08-09-2011, 11:16 AM

Thank you both for the replies.

To delacroix01:

The game in which this card is produced is a Japanese playstation game called "Godzilla: Trading Card Battles". Not sure if you've heard of it. It's sort of like Poke'mon. The card in question was an event card and could only be used in a particular situation. Because of the Japanese text, I could never see what this situation was and the subsequent function of the card.

To masaegu:

The new translation is:

Persuasion It persuades the monstrous beast!! The friend monstrous beast which immediately revolts Between 1 [taso] you hold down. As for that monstrous beast, turn When ending it returns to the pool

Which sounds reasonable enough to make out.

I finally understood the whole monster revolting bit (having played the game quite a bit) and made the situation happen and for the first time, saw the card in action. The monster revolts and, when the card was used, as the translation rightly said: "turn When ending it returns to the pool", or simply when turn ends, it returns to the pool.

The main goal of this whole thing was to satisfy my curiosity, which is done.

I have some more cards that need similar treatment. Hopefully you guys can help me out again.

Last edited by SolCon : 08-09-2011 at 11:18 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
[taso]
You got that because you did not make the ソ to ン change that I had pointed out about. Those are two unrelated, independent letters. Look VERY carefully.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
SolCon (Offline)
New to JF

08-09-2011, 02:08 PM

説得
怪獣を説得!!
即時
反逆した味方怪獣を
1ターンの間抑える。
その怪獣は、 ターン
終了時にプールに戻る

Should be the corrected one.

New translation:

Persuasion It persuades the monstrous beast!! The friend monstrous beast which immediately revolts During 1 turns you hold down. As for that
monstrous beast, turn When ending it returns to the pool

The [taso] is gone, so I guess this is the complete thing. Thanks for pointing that out.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

08-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Err...just for shits n giggles, to make it sound a bit more like an actual video game..

Persuasion
Persuades a monster!!
Instant
Gain control of ally monster who has betrayed for 1 turn
The monster will return to the pool at the end of the turn

The 即時 "instant" part is probably referring to the time it takes to "tap" the card for it to be effective

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)

Last edited by Lonthego : 08-09-2011 at 04:16 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-10-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you both for the replies.

To delacroix01:

The game in which this card is produced is a Japanese playstation game called "Godzilla: Trading Card Battles". Not sure if you've heard of it. It's sort of like Poke'mon. The card in question was an event card and could only be used in a particular situation. Because of the Japanese text, I could never see what this situation was and the subsequent function of the card.
I see. So it was sorta like Yu-Gi-Oh! This makes things clear then.

Here's the full translation :
Quote:
説得 Persuasion (I presume this is the card's name)
怪獣を説得!!Persuade a monster!!
即時 Immediately
反逆した味方怪獣を1ターンの間抑える。you will gain control of the betrayed ally monster within 1 turn.
その怪獣は、ターン終了にプールに戻るThe monster will return to the pool when the turn ends.

Last edited by delacroix01 : 08-10-2011 at 02:17 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SolCon (Offline)
New to JF

08-10-2011, 03:36 PM

Thank you Lonthego and delacroix01. You are both right. It reads much better now.

Probably what's written there but because babel fish isn't so perfect yet, it gives gibberish.