JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Arti (Offline)
New to JF

Quick help for a novel - 08-13-2011, 05:55 AM

Hello,

I've been working on a novel with my writing partner for a little more than 2 years, and I need help with something I'm trying to do, I really hope someone can help us out around here.

Basically, I'm creating a character, a thief who leaves a signature after every robbery, "Lupin IV" or "Lupin the 4th". The idea is that the thief is Japanese and a fan of the manga Lupin III from the sixties, and uses it to pose as the spiritual son/daughter of the character Lupin III.

I have found on wikipedia that Lupin III would be this:
ルパン三世, Rupan Sansei

I'd like to know the equivalent for Lupin IV, what that thief would leave on the wall, or wherever it's written. In Japanese, and the English spelling as well if possible. And does it matter whether it is a man or a woman? She is a woman but I'd like to keep it secret for a little while, if it appears in the signature it kind of changes everything

By the way, I am happy to be here, I am French and live in the US right now, but one of my dreams is to start learning Japanese and go live in Japan for a year, so I'm sure I'll come back to check out some threads and get to know some of you all!

Thanks a million in advance for your help,

-Antoine
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arti View Post
Hello,

I've been working on a novel with my writing partner for a little more than 2 years, and I need help with something I'm trying to do, I really hope someone can help us out around here.

Basically, I'm creating a character, a thief who leaves a signature after every robbery, "Lupin IV" or "Lupin the 4th". The idea is that the thief is Japanese and a fan of the manga Lupin III from the sixties, and uses it to pose as the spiritual son/daughter of the character Lupin III.

I have found on wikipedia that Lupin III would be this:
ルパン三世, Rupan Sansei

I'd like to know the equivalent for Lupin IV, what that thief would leave on the wall, or wherever it's written. In Japanese, and the English spelling as well if possible. And does it matter whether it is a man or a woman? She is a woman but I'd like to keep it secret for a little while, if it appears in the signature it kind of changes everything

By the way, I am happy to be here, I am French and live in the US right now, but one of my dreams is to start learning Japanese and go live in Japan for a year, so I'm sure I'll come back to check out some threads and get to know some of you all!

Thanks a million in advance for your help,

-Antoine
Ça va?

Il serait ルパン四世 et il est prononcé "Rupan Yonsei". Ce serait pareil pour les deux sexes parce que c'est un caractère fictif.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Arti (Offline)
New to JF

08-13-2011, 07:26 AM

AAaaah! Merci beaucoup! C'est vraiment très gentil d'avoir répondu si vite, j'apprécie énormément. Si tu veux me donner ton prénom et nom par email je pourrai te mettre dans les remerciements du livre, sinon je mets juste ton peudo et le site ici. J'y tiens !
PS: I hope I'm going to get banned for speaking French
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-13-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
AAaaah! Merci beaucoup! C'est vraiment très gentil d'avoir répondu si vite, j'apprécie énormément. Si tu veux me donner ton prénom et nom par email je pourrai te mettre dans les remerciements du livre, sinon je mets juste ton peudo et le site ici. J'y tiens !
N’inquiétes pas. Tout ce que j'ai fait pour toi était d'écrire un mot dans ma langue maternelle. Il n'est rien. Pour moi, c'était la chose la plus facile dans le monde.

Et n'hésites jamais à demander ici si tu as d'autres questions.

Quote:
You are not going to. It is clearly stated in paragraph #6 on the following page that one can say anything in any language.

http://www.japanforum.com/jp/

I joined JF because I had read the page and liked what it said. That the JF owners failed to make the same statement in English is their own negligence. I ain't gonna pay for it.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-13-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Why do you hope to be banned?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Arti (Offline)
New to JF

08-13-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Haha, oh well, there's a little "no" that got out of my sentence even though I had told it to stay there and do its job.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I'm sure notre nouvel ami meant to include a "not" there.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-16-2011, 03:05 AM

Si je peux demander, dans quelle langue écris-tu le roman? Je tendrais à penser qu'il y a un marché beaucoup plus grand pour ces romans au Japon qu'ailleurs.