LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KurumuHatake (Offline)
Student

Send a message via Skype™ to KurumuHatake
In which order should I greet or thank someone? - 08-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Hello, And thank you for looking.

I was watching something the other day in Japanese with English subtitles. And I thought I heard someone say the persons name and then hello. Does the name always come before, "ありがとう", "こんにちわ", or "すみません", or can it be said either way?

(if you use kanji in your post could you please also past the Hiragana or Katakana equivalent?)

どうもありがとう。 

はたけ胡夢
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

08-14-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurumuHatake View Post

I was watching something the other day in Japanese with English subtitles. And I thought I heard someone say the persons name and then hello. Does the name always come before, "ありがとう", "こんにちわ", or "すみません", or can it be said either way?

(if you use kanji in your post could you please also past the Hiragana or Katakana equivalent?)

どうもありがとう。 
Excellent question!

Yes, the natural order is "name/title + greeting". Beginning Japanese-learners almost always go the wrong way. Well, I should not say "wrong" because the opposite way is not necessarily incorrect. It is just not the most natural-sounding order to our native ears.

こんにち > こんにち

I want to comment on your use of どうもありがとう. I just explained it in another thread 10 minutes ago so I am just copying it.

"We say this ONLY after the service has been rendered, not before as in European languages. You can say 「よろしくお願(ねが)いします。」."

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurumuHatake View Post

どうもありがとう。 
Interesting question. Just like in English, I don't think you can use "always" here.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KurumuHatake (Offline)
Student

Send a message via Skype™ to KurumuHatake
08-14-2011, 08:17 PM

Thanks so vary much. I was really confused.

Quote:
I want to comment on your use of どうもありがとう. I just explained it in another thread 10 minutes ago so I am just copying it.

"We say this ONLY after the service has been rendered, not before as in European languages. You can say 「よろしくお願(ねが)いします。」."
Cool, thanks. I thought it was just like we use it in English.

はたけ胡夢