JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ryan82 (Offline)
New to JF

Post Please help with a translation before my food spoils! - 08-17-2011, 02:50 PM

Hello, I'm living in Cambodia and just received a Japanese-brand refrigerator to use. The only problem is that the controls are all labeled in Japanese, and the refrigerator is not getting colder, so I must have it on the wrong setting. I've attached a pic of the dial. Would someone please be able to help with a translation of the labels. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg controlpanel.JPG (109.4 KB, 36 views)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-17-2011, 03:48 PM

It looks like you have everything set on maximum coldness. "Temperature is on the right. Top dial is the refrigerator and, from left to right, it says "weak," "medium," "strong." Bottom dial is freezer, and same labels.

Middle dial is set to "freeze." Clockwise, it says (partial) (weak, medium, strong), freeze, cold storage/veggies (I think in the US we call this a "crisper"), chilled. I don't know what this is for. "Conversion compartment"? Google images suggests it's some sort of sliding drawers, but I don't know this vocabulary. My guess is that this dial controls the setting of a drawer/compartment that can serve many different purposes and is intended to fill in the gap in functionality between just "cool" refrigerator and "fully cold" freezer.

Top left above the LCD is "notification"
Below that is fast freeze
below that is suspend ice making

My guess is the LCD is giving you an error code right now. It looks like "H27" to me, which doesn't mean anything. Must be an error code.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 08-17-2011 at 03:51 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-17-2011, 04:06 PM

The conversion compartment is a part that can be switched between different settings based on your need. If you need more freezer space, you can change it to a freezer. If you need more refrigerator space, flip the switch to refrigerate. It can be pretty useful as you can change the space set aside to different things pretty much on a whim.

I am going to second the opinion that the error is probably the reason why things aren't getting cold, and not your settings.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-17-2011, 04:53 PM

just going out on a limb, but it could be an issue with your Cambodian power supply, rather than the fridge, error code aside.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-17-2011, 04:57 PM

A quick search yielded that Cambodia operates on 230V and 50Hz. I don't know if the unit purchased was intended for that voltage, since all Japanese products used in Japan are meant to operate on 100V 50/60Hz....

But if it was a 100V unit, the 230V could have fried the system, so it would also have blown out the display where it's saying "H27". I dunno....
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-17-2011, 10:11 PM

I wondered about that (incompatible power supplies). It seems the most logical. I know high-powered devices like hair dryers, fridges, etc., tend to be really fickle about power supplies. You can get away with something like a laptop not getting the correct power, but a fridge is going to turn into mecha godzilla and eat Japan if receiving incorrect voltage. (do we say "receive voltage" in English? You don't really receive it...volts aren't sent anywhere...it's the electrical equivalent of pressure, and one wouldn't say I "received x kilopascals of air pressure")
(#7 (permalink))
Old
ryan82 (Offline)
New to JF

thanks!! - 08-17-2011, 10:58 PM

thanks everyone for your help! after leaving it overnight, it did begin to cool down. Oh and for the power supply, I am using a converter, so it should be okay with the different voltages. thanks again!