JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Cola (Offline)
JF Regular

09-04-2011, 03:46 AM

Apparently this dojinshi held a vote, presumably amongst its readers, covering various topics (which I have translated below). A translation of the pictures you uploaded to Photobucket follows. (While I understand there are probably extant romanizations for the characters' names, since I'm unfamiliar with this comic, I'm just going to transcribe the katakana. My comments, when necessary, are in parentheses.):

Page 1

1. Other than Rasu, please rate your 3 favorite characters (#1 = 3 points; #2 = 2 points; #3 = 1 point)
*As for why we're excluding Rasu, since he would be certainly be rated #1 and that's not very interesting for a survey, we omitted him.

(Following this are the survey results, with character popularity ranked in points rather than number of votes as per the above noted point system. The drawings on the pages appear to be fan-submitted artwork.)

Page 2

2. Among the covers, back covers, and posters of the (special) books, which volume is your favorite?
At the time of this survey there were only 8 volumes, hence the tally only includes these 8.

(The results are then presented in the order of front covers, back covers, and finally posters in separate sections. The result format is presented as rank, volume, and number of votes, with what appear to be some reasons given, presumably by the voters, as to why they voted for that cover/back cover/poster. For example, the very first result in the front cover category reads "1位 第2巻 105票", which translates to "#1 - Volume 2 - 105 votes". The reasons given below this first entry read (I would assume that each sentence is a reason from a different person): "Chibi-rasu (presumably a cute deformed drawing of the Rasu character) is cute. Because he (?) is with the one and only Kryuga. I like the soft touch. Because it made me a fan of Oshiage-sensei (Oshikami? The name is in kanji; both pronunciations are possible).

Page 3

(Above this is a continuation of the results for the posters from the last page.)

3. What's your favorite scene in the (special) books?
Ranking by scene would be pretty difficult so we decided to rank by volume.

(Following this is, of course, the ranking of the volumes, using almost the same format for presenting the results as the last question, with rank, volume, and number of votes presented, followed by a brief description of several of the scenes from that volume.)

Page 4

4. Let's think together about DK character data.
Height and weight are presented as averages. We haven't dared to publish information on characters with little data.

(Following this is data for various characters presented in the format of height, weight, possible blood types and possible birth months. Presumably, the blood type and birth months of these characters is unknown. The possibilities are ranked 1 to 3, suggesting either that they were voted on or are just how the writers of this comic ranked their own guesses. The heights and weights are also said to be averages, suggesting they are averages of what the readers voted for or, again, averages of the writers' ideas. As an example, the very first entry is for the Rasu chracter, and reads:

身長:169.6cm 体重:54.6kg
血液型:1位 AB型 2位 A型 3位 B型
誕生月: 1位 1月 2位 12月 3位 2月

Which would translate as:

(Possible) Height: 169.6 cm (Possible) Weight: 54.6 kg
(Possible) Blood Type: #1: AB; #2 A; #3 B
(Possible) Birth Month: #1 January; #2 December; #3 February)

Page 5

(Above is a continuation of the results from page 4)

5. If the characters from DK were flowers, what flower would they be?

(Following this is a ranking of the flowers and the number of votes that flower received for each character.)

Page 6

(Page 6 continues to present the answers to question 5 from the previous page.)

Page 7

6. If you could date a character from DK, who would it be, where would you go, and what would you do?

(Following this is the rank each character achieved in relation to this question and the number of votes they received, below which is some examples of what people would do and where they would go on dates. For example, for the #1 ranked character, Rasu, ideas for dates were: "Exterminate the goblins (or devils or whatever) together. Go to a deserted island. Take a nap in a forest with clear air and a tiny spring. At a pure spring, erase Rasu's memories and make him my own. Go to Tokyo Disneyland. Go to a haunted house (usually means the amusement attraction type, not a real one). Go to an amusement park and a zoo. Go to an arcade. Go bowling. Hang out and talk in my room. Go to the beach."

Page 8

(Above this is a continuation of answers to the question from the previous page.)

7. What do you think of DK yaoi (you probably already know, but yaoi are semi-fan fiction manga taking the male characters of a popular series and having them fall in love with each other, often with explicitly sexual results. In the original text, the "o" in yaoi is omitted as if yaoi were a dirty word. Following the question are the possible answers I assume readers were able to choose from, that answer's rank, and the number of votes it received. Possible answers were: 1) Like. 2) Depends on the content. 3) Can't say. 4) Hate it. 5) Unthinkable for DK. 6) Other. Below this are some example reasons and conditions readers gave with their answers, such as "It would be okay only if Rasu were on the receiving end.")

8. Let's put the DK characters in cosplay!

(Following this are the top-ranked series to have the DK characters cosplay in and the number of votes received, followed by some example characters from that series for the DK series characters to dress up as. #1 is Gundam.

Page 9

(A continuation of results from the previous question. #2 is a series called ふるうに剣心 (furu ni kenshin). #3 is Sailor Moon. #4 is Battle Arena Toshinden. #5 is King of Fighters. Following this is several honorable mentions. At the bottom of the last page is an announcement of people who have won prizes for participating in the survey.)
(#12 (permalink))
Old
GilnoKoibito (Offline)
New to JF

09-04-2011, 04:35 AM

Oh wow Cola...O.O That's amazing!!!

Thank you very, very much for being so amazingly thorough! *hugs* It's a great help!!

I'd hate to ask you to do anything else after this AMAZING (I want to add sparkles to that so badly!) translation work!
But...would it be too much to ask for a few select parts to be translated? If it's too much trouble, then you don't have too...I don't want to be too irritating or annoying or anything like that.
But if you want to, could you translate these for me?
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...o/totrans2.png

I promise I won't ask for anymore after this! Promise!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Cola (Offline)
JF Regular

09-04-2011, 05:43 AM

(Japanese is a very contextual language, leaving out a huge amount of information that is absolutely necessary in English to construct a grammatically correct and meaningful sentence. Translating the specifics of a manga become extremely difficult if you have never read it. Below are my best guesses, as well as notes to help you determine the meanings on your own.)

Page 2 Part 2

#2 - Volume 8 - 75 votes
Because of Giru. Because it leaves the strongest impression. Its cool. It's cute. It's sexy. The colors are beautiful. Ribon (or perhaps the ribbon) is good.

#1 - Volume 8 - 117 votes
The picture with Ramu and Giru is good. Giru seems happy. Because there's fire. This made me a fan of Ramu.

Page 3 Part 3

#1 - Volume 8 - 77 votes
The exchange between Karu and Garufakushi at the beginning (LOL [comment in the original]). The scene where Kicheru plays with Teseusu. When Teseusu almost drowned. Teseusu after she (he?) got wet and let her (his?) hair down. The exchange between Seshia when she (he?) had a cold and Rasu. How Rasu looked cooking and his okayu (rice porridge. This might alternatively be, "How Rasu's cooking looked and his [or the] okayu). The scene where Seshia eats the okayu while crying. Ryukureon and Arufiji's sighs (page 100 [comment in the original]). The exchange between the injured Kaisutan and Rasu. The scene where Giru is crying. The fire that falls into Giru's cup. Kaisutan's first death (alternatively, this might mean Kaisutan had one death, possibly the death of a member of his or her group).

Page 8 Part 6

#12 - Giru - 8 votes

Go for a walk. Take a nap on a mountain. Go to the beach. Go on a safari and see a lion.

#16 - Ramuganasu - 4 votes

Go for a walk in a park. Shopping. See a movie.

Page 8 Part 7

*Various reasons and conditions . . .

From the group that approves: Only if Rasu were on the receiving end. Only if it were Run and Nohiro. Only if it were with Giru (the word 関係 [kankei] is used, which could either mean "related to/connected with" or "sex with." I cannot definitively say which is meant, but the meaning is basically the same either way). Only if the drawings were well-done.

From the group willing to compromise: Only if it were on the level of Yokoshima (I don't know if this is a character from the comic or an illustrator or what. A very brief search on the internet brought up multiple references to a 'Lara Yokoshima,' who seems to be a person from Mexico who draws yaoi. Yokoshima may also refer to a specific style of yaoi or simply be another nickname for the yaoi genre. Incidentally, 'yokoshima' means evil, dark, wicked, or corrupt. As I would rather not research further into yaoi than is necessary, I will leave it to you to conduct further research and draw your own conclusions.) If they (?) had been too late on the goblin side (near Giru) . . . (Again, not knowing the specifics of this comic, it is extremely difficult to determine who was or would be too late and even whether they are talking about the goblin [or whatever] area or side or what.)

From the group opposed to yaoi: I like yaoi but I would hate a DK yaoi. It's scary.

Other: What's yaoi?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
GilnoKoibito (Offline)
New to JF

09-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Wow! Thank you sooooo much!

As long as I have enough to make sense of it, it's fine!
So thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Cola (Offline)
JF Regular

09-05-2011, 04:00 PM

No problem. Happy reading!