JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
minionkhorn (Offline)
New to JF

I need help translating this book please. - 09-12-2011, 10:27 PM

I got this book a long time ago from my grandmother I was told one time that it was for identifing Japanese familys by there stamp or seal from along time ago but I thought that was kind of fishy I have attached some photos for all to look at, I have more photos if you need them....Thank you.

P.S. I can tell the whole book is hand made including the stamps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0297.jpg (66.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0300.jpg (46.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0301.jpg (59.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0303.jpg (111.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0308.jpg (73.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by minionkhorn : 09-12-2011 at 10:35 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-12-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minionkhorn View Post
I got this book a long time ago from my grandmother I was told one time that it was for identifing Japanese familys by there stamp or seal from along time ago but I thought that was kind of fishy
That is exactly what it is. Every seal has a name written by it (and a number, which I'm guessing is either just enumeration, or a page number if what you scanned is just the table of contents).

There are some characters I don't recognize, so I need to refer to a dictionary for them. However, I don't have time since I have to leave in a couple minutes. If someone doesn't help you in the next 20 hours, I'll be able to show up and help you.

Edit Just for your early reference, it's called 紋之泉, or "Fountain of Family Crests" or something like that. The first character means "family crest," the second is an old way of writing の, which links nouns together, and 泉 means "fountain." First page says it's edited by YOSHINO Takejiro. Second page says it was written by him. Not sure which is "true," but typically (in the US) you wouldn't say this type of work is written by a person. You'd call him the editor, since it's basically a series of facts he compiled.

It's published by some book house in Kyoto, but I can't read the name because there's a character I don't know off the top of my head. Actually, I've practically exhausted what I expect to be able to read. I could read the names, but the brush-written part on the third page is beyond me. Someone else will need to help you with that part.

Edit 2 Here is a Google Books scan of the book: 紋之泉 - Google Books

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 09-12-2011 at 10:45 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
minionkhorn (Offline)
New to JF

Grandmas book - 09-12-2011, 10:42 PM

Thank you for getting back to me I will wait for your help because the more I get the better I look forward hearing back from you I will scan one of the pages with the most writing on it if that will help.