JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-06-2011, 06:02 PM

Will be marking higher pitched sounds with bold, while font is in white Thanks for making another one, was looking forward to this.

1. 色(ろ)  2.白(ろ)  3.黒(く

4. 机(つく)  5. 椅子(す)  

6. 雲(も)  7.雨(あ)  8.雪(き)  9.ゆ as a feminine name

10. 北(た)  11.来た(き)  12.着た(た) "wore" 

13. 買った(った)  14.勝った(かっ) "won" 

15. いす  16. あり

17. タク  18. ポケモン

19. 高い(たか)  20. 安い(やす)  21. きい  22. おしい

23. ロンドン  24. リ  25. 東京(とょう)  26. ヨーシャー

27. レビ  28. ーラ  29. ーヒー  30. ラー

I'm probably miles out. I had to say them aloud many times to see what felt right, and imagine hearing it on TV or wherever. Thanks again

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-07-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
TBH, I do not seem to understand what you are trying to say here.
When we talk about 'stress' in Engligh, it's nothing to do with pitch. It's that certain words in a sentence, or certain parts of words are said more strongly than others. I can say 'photographer' in a flat voice, but it still has the 'tog' syllable stressed. Or I can say it in a crazy up and down voice but it still has all the emphasis on 'tog'.

does that help?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-07-2011, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
When we talk about 'stress' in Engligh, it's nothing to do with pitch. It's that certain words in a sentence, or certain parts of words are said more strongly than others. I can say 'photographer' in a flat voice, but it still has the 'tog' syllable stressed. Or I can say it in a crazy up and down voice but it still has all the emphasis on 'tog'.

does that help?
I understand what you are trying to say here. What I do not understand is how this affected your answers when words were given all by themselves without any context. Among the ones you did not get correct, for exmple 町(まち), the high pitch accent is on the ち. Were you putting the stress on the ま in your head for any reason? Or how is it even possible to place the stress on the first syllable and the high pitch accent on the second?

It is the "musical" pitch (high vs. low) in Japanese words that is the counterpart of the stress (strong vs. weak) in English words. 町 is pronounced like "do-mi", not "weak-strong" as in the English word "delay".

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.

Last edited by masaegu : 10-07-2011 at 03:38 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-07-2011, 06:59 AM

ANSWERS PART II

1. 色(い)  2.白(ろ)  3.黒(ろ)

4. 机(つくえ)  5. 椅子(い)  

6. 雲(も)  7.雨(め)  8.雪(ゆ)  9.き as a feminine name

10. 北(き)  11.来た(た)  12.着た(き) "wore" 

13. 買った(かっ)  14.勝った(った) "won" 

15. いす  16. ありま

17. オタク  18. ポケモン

19. 高い(たい)  20. 安い(やい)  21. れい  22. おいし

23. ンドン  24. リ  25. 東京(とうきょう)  26. ヨークシャー

27. レビ  28. ーラ  29. コーヒー  30. ーメン

Regarding #8 and #9, what is interesting is that even if the feminine name is written with the kanji 雪, it will be pronounced as き, which is dいfferent from how 雪 is pronounced as a regular noun.

A similar phenomenon is seen in the place name 渋谷(しぶや)as opposed to the family name 渋谷(ぶや).

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
I understand what you are trying to say here. What I do not understand is how this affected your answers when words were given all by themselves without any context. Among the ones you did not get correct, for exmple 町(まち), the high pitch accent is on the ち. Were you putting the stress on the ま in your head for any reason? Or how is it even possible to place the stress on the first syllable and the high pitch accent on the second?

It is the "musical" pitch (high vs. low) in Japanese words that is the counterpart of the stress (strong vs. weak) in English words. 町 is pronounced like "do-mi", not "weak-strong" as in the English word "delay".
I was randomly looking for weak-strong or strong-weak in Japanese and not thinking about the pitch at all, so yes, in my head, I was using the wrong stress. Which I never normally do! Long story short it was probably the result of a long day drilling students on intonation in English!

1. 色(い)  2.白(ろ)  3.黒(ろ)

4. 机(つく)  5. 椅子(す)  

6. 雲(も)  7.雨(あ)  8.雪(ゆ)  9.ゆき as a feminine name

10. 北(き)  11.来た(た)  12.着た(た) "wore" 

13. 買った(った)  14.勝った(かっ) "won" 

15. ます  16. あります

17. タク  18. ポケモン

19. 高い(たかい)  20. 安い(やすい)  21. れい  22. おいしい

23. ロンドン  24. リ  25. 東京(とうきょう)  26. ヨークシャー

27. テレビ  28. コーラ  29. コーヒー  30. ラーメン