JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

Wanting to Teach Japanese in Middle School? - 10-05-2011, 12:34 AM

Yeah . . .my dreams seem to change alot . . .for sure I want to major in Japanese, become fluent in the language, but I don't know exactly what I wanna do with that yet.

So I thought of teaching Japanese in Middle school since the younger kids are, the easier they pick up languages . . .

So what goals should I set per year? I know getting them to a "fluent" level is out of the question, but I really want to teach them as much as I can . . .

(I'm stuck between middle and High school as to which I should teach, but again, middle school sseems better . . .)

Please and thank you!

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-05-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
Yeah . . .my dreams seem to change alot . . .for sure I want to major in Japanese, become fluent in the language, but I don't know exactly what I wanna do with that yet.

So I thought of teaching Japanese in Middle school since the younger kids are, the easier they pick up languages . . .

So what goals should I set per year? I know getting them to a "fluent" level is out of the question, but I really want to teach them as much as I can . . .

(I'm stuck between middle and High school as to which I should teach, but again, middle school sseems better . . .)

Please and thank you!
Before you start trying to write a syllabus for some class, you need to think about what qualifications you need to be a middle-school Japanese teacher. Firstly, Japanese, secondly, a proper teaching qualification. Do they even teach Japanese in middle schools near you? If not where? What levels of Japanese- Foundation? Elementary? Pre-intermediate? (you need to AT LEAST be one level higher than what you teach, preferably more). How much experience do you need to get to achieve the job you want. What other activities could you be doing to aid your studies and career development.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-05-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Before you start trying to write a syllabus for some class, you need to think about what qualifications you need to be a middle-school Japanese teacher. Firstly, Japanese, secondly, a proper teaching qualification. Do they even teach Japanese in middle schools near you? If not where? What levels of Japanese- Foundation? Elementary? Pre-intermediate? (you need to AT LEAST be one level higher than what you teach, preferably more). How much experience do you need to get to achieve the job you want. What other activities could you be doing to aid your studies and career development.
I honestly think no non-native should be teaching kids because they'll pick up a non-native accent (unless they have access to natives outside the classroom).

And let's face it, if you don't start studying Japanese until college, you will never get rid of your accent unless you're a savant. Think about it this way: do you know anyone who immigrated to the US as an adult who has gotten rid of the accent?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-05-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I honestly think no non-native should be teaching kids because they'll pick up a non-native accent (unless they have access to natives outside the classroom).

And let's face it, if you don't start studying Japanese until college, you will never get rid of your accent unless you're a savant. Think about it this way: do you know anyone who immigrated to the US as an adult who has gotten rid of the accent?
This is true, and if I were hiring I would generally pick a qualified Native speaker above all others, but qualified native japanese teachers are a rarity in some places and I'm not in the business of crushing people's dreams. She asked for advice, I gave it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-05-2011, 04:20 PM

Teaching Japanese in your local country? Or teachne Japanese in Japan?

I am going to guess not the later, wouldin't it suck if the entire class are more fluent that you are?

Kyle is so right there.. I left Asia when I was like 11, my grammar and composition still sucks... and I definitely still have a bit of a Chinese accent...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

10-05-2011, 04:28 PM

I've got a university professor who's best friend is caucasian, however he was born in Japan and grew up until adulthood in Japan. Japanese is his first language. However, he got turned down for every actual language teaching job he applied to simply because he isn't Japanese by heritage. If you're an ALT or something, then it's not too hard to get a job. But if you're looking to actually teach at a school, this type of situation will probably be a factor. It's not the only example I've heard of this happening.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#7 (permalink))
Old
星の翼

10-05-2011, 09:11 PM

I have, somewhat of an objection to this "Native people make better teachers" theory.

The first sensei I had was a very nice person . . .However she didn't teach us ALOT in the , like, 11 months we had her. She was an old lady though, and I imagine she probably taughtbetter earlier, but we didn't learn A TON and some of what she tried teaching made little sense.

We then get this white guy from Idaho and he, aside from the accent issue (To be honest I never paid attention to his accent) he taught very well and he taught alot. I think part of it was that Japanese was his second language and he taught using both methods used for Native English speakers and now we'restudying from a real Japanese article about sobasta (Soba pasta) with all the glorious kanji (Oh the joy)

I'm not saying Natives will always be orse, but you can't say they'll always be better.

Coinkidinkly, that same year, a black women with an American accent taught me and other kids Spanish, THAT was alot more fun of a year than the Spanish Hispanic teacher I have this year, but she's still nice and she's still a good teacher.

So yeah, with the right qualifications, like Columbine listed, it can be done I think.

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-06-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
I have, somewhat of an objection to this "Native people make better teachers" theory.

The first sensei I had was a very nice person . . .However she didn't teach us ALOT in the , like, 11 months we had her. She was an old lady though, and I imagine she probably taughtbetter earlier, but we didn't learn A TON and some of what she tried teaching made little sense.

We then get this white guy from Idaho and he, aside from the accent issue (To be honest I never paid attention to his accent) he taught very well and he taught alot. I think part of it was that Japanese was his second language and he taught using both methods used for Native English speakers and now we'restudying from a real Japanese article about sobasta (Soba pasta) with all the glorious kanji (Oh the joy)

I'm not saying Natives will always be orse, but you can't say they'll always be better.

Coinkidinkly, that same year, a black women with an American accent taught me and other kids Spanish, THAT was alot more fun of a year than the Spanish Hispanic teacher I have this year, but she's still nice and she's still a good teacher.

So yeah, with the right qualifications, like Columbine listed, it can be done I think.
It's not about what we believe in or any theory behind this, none of us are saying that this is a theory per say, but a preference by the hiring manager
(#9 (permalink))
Old
星の翼

10-06-2011, 01:34 AM

Pretty messed up though =/

But . . .I'll live.