JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xingha (Offline)
New to JF

Question about Japanese Language Format - 10-07-2011, 06:08 AM

What i mean is whats the order of the word? Noun>Adjective or Verb? Or how it is working? Pls help!

Watashi wa Enma Ai = My name is Enmai Ai or Enma Ai is my name? (can it be?)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-07-2011, 04:15 PM

1. Verb at the end is the only real rule. Generally people say subject object verb, though.

2. No, that is incorrect. It has no verb. Your proposed sentence says "as for me, enma ai."
エンマアイです。 <-- That's what you want.
or エンマアイともうします。
or エンマアイといいます。
(#3 (permalink))
Old
xingha (Offline)
New to JF

10-08-2011, 12:15 AM

Thanks a lot! I always watch anime and sometimes read manga (though english translated).

Sorry to say i dont know how to read Kanji hihihih

Then, about the "as for me, enma ai", wat do u mean by it has no verb? You are saying that when the noun is in the last part of a sentence, there should be a verb? Can you give me some more example that can show the format/order of the word type in a sentence?

Actually, i am inventing an own language. Learning some from other language is for getting some idea. But what im creating is not mix of different language. I still stay on having original concept. If you can shoot some idea, i'll gladly accept it. There are some video game (Japanese RPG) that uses their own invented language like Hymmnos language in Ar Tonelico and Melnics language in Tales of Eternia.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-08-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingha View Post
Then, about the "as for me, enma ai", wat do u mean by it has no verb? You are saying that when the noun is in the last part of a sentence, there should be a verb?
I'm saying you translated from English to Japanese a sentence with a verb in English but not in Japanese.

Quote:
Can you give me some more example that can show the format/order of the word type in a sentence?
I gave you three in my previous post. Did you see them?

Quote:
Actually, i am inventing an own language. Learning some from other language is for getting some idea.
Check out Toki Pona, which is a conlang. Toki Pona
(#5 (permalink))
Old
xingha (Offline)
New to JF

10-16-2011, 03:25 PM

Sorry for the very late reply. I was thinking thoroughly about it. To make it clear, the word format for japanese is subject first then the adjective or verb?

About your example, like i said on my previous post, i can't read japanese alphabet.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the very late reply. I was thinking thoroughly about it. To make it clear, the word format for japanese is subject first then the adjective or verb?

About your example, like i said on my previous post, i can't read japanese alphabet.
Typically it is said to be subject-object-verb. As seen in the very first sentence of this Wikipedia section on Japanese: Japanese language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#7 (permalink))
Old
xingha (Offline)
New to JF

10-27-2011, 12:16 AM

Thx for the new info u gave me! It was a big help. So it says subject-object-verb... dat was i am looking for.

Now to my inventing of my own language, i just refresh my memory about the Parts of Speech. Im currently working on the pronouns.

This is a sample of my own creation:
I, me, my, mine = ai
we, us, our = ao
myself (intensive) = ai'ga
ourselves (intensive) = ao'ga

Now im thinking thoroughly about the reflexive pronoun:
Ex: Cats clean themselves carefully after each meal.
Im thinking wats best to do about it - use the 'ga or ???. Any idea is very welcome for me.

Btw, the sentence format of mine is also similar of that of the Japanese.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TBox (Offline)
JF Regular

10-27-2011, 01:11 AM

What you're doing is called conlanging -- making a conlang, short for constructed language. You'll get a lot better help in a place like zompist bboard &bull; Index page that's devoted to conlanging. But the kind of question you have right now is one of those simple yet complicated ones that are difficult to answer. You should probably read all of The Language Construction Kit first and then decide if you still have the same question.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-27-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Thx for the new info u gave me! It was a big help. So it says subject-object-verb... dat was i am looking for.

Now to my inventing of my own language, i just refresh my memory about the Parts of Speech. Im currently working on the pronouns.

This is a sample of my own creation:
I, me, my, mine = ai
we, us, our = ao
myself (intensive) = ai'ga
ourselves (intensive) = ao'ga

Now im thinking thoroughly about the reflexive pronoun:
Ex: Cats clean themselves carefully after each meal.
Im thinking wats best to do about it - use the 'ga or ???. Any idea is very welcome for me.

Btw, the sentence format of mine is also similar of that of the Japanese.
This discussion is very off-topic. It does not belong here.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
xingha (Offline)
New to JF

11-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Oh ok thx for the help from both of you and oh sorry for the off topic matter. I might now go to that conlang site. Thx again for the help!