JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
PocketMonster (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese Essay Help. - 10-19-2011, 12:58 AM

I have just completed my Japanese essay and I wanted to see if someone could look over it and see if it makes sense or if I made any mistakes.

Thank you!

今どの夏休み、日本を旅行しようと思っています。一し ゅう間いるつもりです。旅かんをとまります。日本に行 ったことがありません。日本語がならいたいので、日本 に行きたいです。
 はじめに、旅かんをよやくしておかなくちゃいけませ ん。それから、お金を下ろしておきます。そして、日本 語を勉強しておきます。
スタジオジブリに行きます。つぎに、あきはばらで買い 物に行きます。かんこうに行こうと思っています。それ から、日本レストランで食べるつもりです。そして、東 京ディズニーランドに行こうと思っています。日本人友 だちがたくさんできるつもりです。つぎに、ふじさんに のぼろうと思っています。それから、しゃしんをとりま す。東京で映画を見ようと思っています。
日本ですしを食べてみたいです。それから、とんかつを 食べてみたいです。そして、着物を着てみたいです。つ ぎに、夏まつりに行ってみたいです。カラオケに行って みたいです。
楽しみにしています。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
PocketMonster (Offline)
New to JF

Please don't delete this thread! - 10-19-2011, 01:04 AM

I tried to delete my other thread, but I don't know how. If you want to delete one of my threads, PLEASE delete the other one and not this one.
Thank you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-19-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketMonster View Post
I have just completed my Japanese essay and I wanted to see if someone could look over it and see if it makes sense or if I made any mistakes.

Thank you!

今どの夏休み、日本を旅行しようと思っています。一し ゅう間いるつもりです。旅かんをとまります。日本に行 ったことがありません。日本語がならいたいので、日本 に行きたいです。
スタジオジブリに行きます。つぎに、あきはばらで買い 物に行きます。かんこうに行こうと思っています。それ から、日本レストランで食べるつもりです。そして、東 京ディズニーランドに行こうと思っています。日本人友 だちがたくさんできるつもりです。つぎに、ふじさんに のぼろうと思っています。それから、しゃしんをとりま す。東京で映画を見ようと思っています。
日本ですしを食べてみたいです。それから、とんかつを 食べてみたいです。そして、着物を着てみたいです。つ ぎに、夏まつりに行ってみたいです。カラオケに行って みたいです。
楽しみにしています。
今どの夏休み is correct only if the 夏休み is around the corner. If you are in the Southern Hemisphere, you can say this now in October. You cannot say it if you are in the Northern Hemisphere because the next 夏休み is nowhere near approaching. In this case, you can use 次(つぎ)の夏休み. Sorry if this sounds unimportant. It sure is important to a native speaker as myself.

旅かんをとまります >> Look carefully at the particle.

日本語がならいたい >> Particle?

しておかなくちゃ >> Way too conversational.

あきはばらで買い 物に行きます >> First particle?

日本レストランで食べるつもりです >> Too direct a translation. 「日本レストラン」, to my ears, sounds like "Japanese restaurants outside of Japan". I would rephrase the whole thing to something like 「和食(わしょく)をたくさん食べたいです」 .

つ ぎに >> また
_____

Have you learned the particle 「も」? If yes, you can and should use it a few times in saying "I want to do this. I wan to do that."

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
bb020708 (Offline)
New to JF

10-19-2011, 02:00 AM

"はじめに、旅かんをよやくしておかなくちゃいけませ "
--ちゃいけません makes it sound informal and the entire essay itself sounds pretty formal so i would change that to "旅かんをよやくしておかなければいけません"

"スタジオジブリに行きます。
I would change this to "スタジオジブリに行きたいです" since in your original sentence, it literally translates to you are going to Studio Ghibli but in your other sentences, you use --行こうと思っています which means you want to go but haven't solidified your plans.

"日本人友 だちがたくさんできるつもりです。"
This itself doesn't really make sense at first glance. Do you mean "I plan on making Japanese friends"? If so, I would change it to "日本人友だちをたくさんつくるつもりです."

Other than that, the rest is pretty much grammatically correct. I would just delete the spaces between the characters like "一しゅう間いるつもりです。" instead of "一し ゅう間いるつもりです。" etc.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
PocketMonster (Offline)
New to JF

Questions on reply. - 10-19-2011, 02:14 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time out to help me.

What should the particle be for 旅かんをとまります and 日本語がならいたい?

Also, for しておかなくちゃ, we just learned how to say doing something in preparation for which is the verb おきる. On the requirements for the essay, one of the things we have to write in the essay is: What you will do in preparation for the trip (using ~ておきます、~ておかなくちゃ
いけません、~ておくつもりです etc.) <<That is one of the exact sentences written in the requirements. So I assume that it is okay to write しておかなくちゃ.

For あきはばらで買い 物に行きます, I thought that the particle で was used to describe a place of action. And I would be shopping in Akihabara.

Instead of 日本レストランで食べるつもりです, how would I say: I plan to eat at restaurants in Japan? Instead of in Japanese restaurants.

つ ぎに (next) is one of the transitions she listed that we could use in the essay.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
PocketMonster (Offline)
New to JF

Thank you! - 10-19-2011, 02:23 AM

Thank you so much!

For some reason, 一しゅう間いるつもりです。Came out as 一し ゅう間いるつもりです。
But on the Word document I wrote it in, there is not a space between the characters. Thank you for pointing that out though.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-19-2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
 What should the particle be for 旅かんをとまります and 日本語がならいたい?
旅かん
日本語

Quote:
Also, for しておかなくちゃ, we just learned how to say doing something in preparation for which is the verb おきる. On the requirements for the essay, one of the things we have to write in the essay is: What you will do in preparation for the trip (using ~ておきます、~ておかなくちゃ
いけません、~ておくつもりです etc.) <<That is one of the exact sentences written in the requirements. So I assume that it is okay to write しておかなくちゃ.
If it is required, it is required. I will not fight city hall. I wonder if your teacher is a native speker, though.

It is just we Japanese-speakers DO NOT use 「なくちゃ」 in a composition as it sounds very conversational (and even childish) . We would use 「なくては」.

Quote:
For あきはばらで買い 物に行きます, I thought that the particle で was used to describe a place of action. And I would be shopping in Akihabara.
But the main verb is 行く in this phrase and 「行く」 takes 「へ/に」, never 「で」.

You can say 「あきはばら買い物をする。」 but you cannot say 「あきはばらで買い 物に行きます」.

Quote:
Instead of 日本レストランで食べるつもりです, how would I say: I plan to eat at restaurants in Japan? Instead of in Japanese restaurants.
「日本のレストランで食事をしたいです。」 or 「~~をするつもりです」.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
PocketMonster (Offline)
New to JF

Revised Essay. - 10-19-2011, 02:58 AM

Here is the revised essay. Is this correct?

Thank you.

次の夏休み、日本を旅行しようと思っています。一し ゅう間いるつもりです。旅かんにとまります。日本に行 ったことがありません。日本語をならいたいので、日本 に行きたいです。
スタジオジブリに行きたいです。次に、あきはばらで買 い物をしたいです。かんこうに行こうと思っています。 それから、日本のレストランで食べるつもりです。そし て、東京ディズニーランドに行こうと思っています。日 本人友だちがたくさん作るつもりです。そして、ふじさ んにのぼろうと思っています。それから、しゃしんをと ります。東京で映画を見ようと思っています。
日本ですしを食べてみたいです。それから、とんかつも 食べてみたいです。そして、着物を着てみたいです。そ れから、夏まつりに行ってみたいです。カラオケに行っ てみたいです。
楽しみにしています。
(#9 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-19-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Here is the revised essay. Is this correct?

Thank you.

次の夏休み、日本を旅行しようと思っています。一し ゅう間いるつもりです。旅かんにとまります。日本に行 ったことがありません。日本語をならいたいので、日本 に行きたいです。
スタジオジブリに行きたいです。次に、あきはばらで買 い物をしたいです。かんこうに行こうと思っています。 それから、日本のレストランで食べるつもりです。そし て、東京ディズニーランドに行こうと思っています。日 本人友だちがたくさん作るつもりです。そして、ふじさ んにのぼろうと思っています。それから、しゃしんをと ります。東京で映画を見ようと思っています。
日本ですしを食べてみたいです。それから、とんかつも 食べてみたいです。そして、着物を着てみたいです。そ れから、夏まつりに行ってみたいです。カラオケに行っ てみたいです。
楽しみにしています。
けっこう頑固な人みたいだね。  自分としては可能な限りの建設的な添削をしたつもり なんだけど、どうも納得してもらえなかったみたいです 。要するに私としては残念ながらこれ以上コメントする ことはできません。お互いに平行線をたどり続けるのが 目に見えているので。今後の活躍を祈ります。

(#10 (permalink))
Old
bb020708 (Offline)
New to JF

10-19-2011, 04:22 AM

"次の夏休み、日本を旅行しようと思っています。"
You should add a に before次の夏休み and change the を to a へ so the sentence would be "次の夏休みに日本へ旅行したいと思っています". If you literally translate the original sentence to English, it'll make sense because in English, it makes sense if you say 'Next summer, I plan on going to Japan" but translating that into Japanese doesn't make sense unless you add a に.