JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tatami (Offline)
New to JF

Help me please! I can't translate this - 10-19-2011, 05:51 PM

Hello,

I have a favor to ask, I need some help translating a copyright text, I tried to decipher it with the help of some translating programs but I am afraid of misinterpret it.

Can anybody give me an accurate translation of this copyright notice?

Thank you very much!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
blutorange (Offline)
New to JF

10-19-2011, 09:22 PM

ご購入いただいた素材は、購入者に限り、営利、非営利 を問わず、自由に使用できます。またクレジットへ当サ ークル名の記載は必要ありません。禁止事項:この素材 を複製したものを配布、譲渡、販売する事は営利、非営 利を問わず禁止します。

YOU, the buyer, may use this content commercially or non-commercially. Furthermore, it is not necessary to give the name of this club/company/author [probably refering to キュキュキュのQのQ ?] in the credits.

Forbidden: Redistribution, Selling or Duplication of this content, whether commercial or not.

Do not ask me for what other commercial interests one could use a story, though. Perhaps you can take it as an inspiration, or write a prequel/sequel to the story and sell it? I suppose it is questionable whether distributing a translation falls under "distribution of this content..."
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tatami (Offline)
New to JF

10-19-2011, 09:47 PM

Thank you very much!!

I think I expressed myself wrong, the copyright notice is from a set of background images that are beeing sold on a site. In the site it says I can use them to create games and it claims to be copyright-free, but since it was lacking on the description, I had my doubts about commercial use, so I tracked it down to the main site wich is fully japanese and it had that copyright notice on the backgrounds.

From your translation, I'm guessing I can use them commercially in a product of my own creation after acquiring them, but I cannot resell the original material beeing sold as a product itself. At least it is what it seems:\

Thank you very much again blutorange!!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-20-2011, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutorange View Post
ご購入いただいた素材は、購入者に限り、営利、非営利 を問わず、自由に使用できます。またクレジットへ当サ ークル名の記載は必要ありません。禁止事項:この素材 を複製したものを配布、譲渡、販売する事は営利、非営 利を問わず禁止します。

YOU, the buyer, may use this content commercially or non-commercially. Furthermore, it is not necessary to give the name of this club/company/author [probably refering to キュキュキュのQのQ ?] in the credits.

Forbidden: Redistribution, Selling or Duplication of this content, whether commercial or not.

Do not ask me for what other commercial interests one could use a story, though. Perhaps you can take it as an inspiration, or write a prequel/sequel to the story and sell it? I suppose it is questionable whether distributing a translation falls under "distribution of this content..."
DID SOMEONE CALL FOR A COPYRIGHT LAWYER

Haha, all kidding aside, written works (in the US) receive a bundle of exclusive rights collectively known as "copyright." (Other works—like choreography or architectural works, e.g.—receive different bundles, but they're all called the same thing: "copyright.")

For literary works (i.e., novels, poems, etc.), the exclusive rights reserved to the author are reproduction, preparation of derivative works, distribution, performance, and display. United States Code: Title 17,106. Exclusive rights in copyrighted works | LII / Legal Information Institute

If this license grants all commercial use except redistribution, selling, and duplication, that leaves things like public performance (i.e., you can read the book to the public out on the street corner) and prepare derivative works.

(Explaining derivative works: Technically, a Harry Potter fanfic infringes the author's copyright because it's a derivative work. You need permission to make a Star Wars sequel, too—another type of derivative work.)

Of course, Japanese copyright law is different.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-20-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshaliya65 View Post
I can't copy this image and hence that's tuff for me to translate it. Else probably would have done that..
If you have to copy and paste the text in order to translate it, I doubt you would have done a good job.

In any case, there's a copy-paste version in the second or third post you could have used.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
TBox (Offline)
JF Regular

10-20-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
DID SOMEONE CALL FOR A COPYRIGHT LAWYER
I've always wondered what the major differences were. Is the doujin market politely ignored, or is all that stuff legal under Japanese copyright?

But that's severely off topic.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBox View Post
I've always wondered what the major differences were. Is the doujin market politely ignored, or is all that stuff legal under Japanese copyright?

But that's severely off topic.
Not an expert on Japanese copyright law, but it it is my understanding that: (1) it is very, very similar to US copyright law; and (2) the doujinshi market is politely ignored.

Straight out of Japanese copyright law:
Quote:
(二次的著作物の利用に関する原著作者の権利)
第二十八条 二次的著作物の原著作物の著作者は、当該 二次的著作物の利用に関し、この款に規定する権利で当 該二次的著作物の著作者が有するものと同一の種類の権 利を専有する。

[A translation found online]
(Right of the original author in the exploitation of a derivative work)
Article 28. In the exploitation of a derivative work, the author of the pre-existing work shall have the same rights as those the author of the derivative work has under the provisions of this Subsection.