LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBox View Post

I was surprised to hear Masaegu say he was taught the accent for every word in school, because they did a survey once, "How do you know the difference between 鼻 and 花?" and a lot of respondents answered, "Because the kanji are different," despite the fact that the survey was 100% oral. Maybe because they're words you learn as a kid instead of having to be taught?
I did NOT say that. I was taking about my English-as-a-foreign-language learning. In every language, kids know where the accent is on the words s/he knows before starting school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
I am getting really intrigued in this thread because when I learned English back in school, we had to learn where the primary accent was (as well as the spelling and meaning) every time we learned a new word consisting of multiple syllables. So I just always assumed Japanese was taught the same way outside of Japan. At least, that is how I would teach Japanese if I were to teach it as a foreign language.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
TBox (Offline)
JF Regular

10-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I did NOT say that.
I am very sorry. I wish I could say, "I feel like we got off on the wrong foot," but the truth is I can't seem to say two words lately without putting my foot in my mouth. Please forgive me, I'll try harder in the future.

Last edited by TBox : 10-26-2011 at 06:02 PM.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-27-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBox View Post
I am very sorry. I wish I could say, "I feel like we got off on the wrong foot," but the truth is I can't seem to say two words lately without putting my foot in my mouth. Please forgive me, I'll try harder in the future.
No problem. I attended kindergarten through university in Japan and I do not remember one occasion where I was taught where the accent was on a word. I am sure, though, this is taught intensively at technical schools for would-be-announcers that are not from around Kanto.

In foreign language courses in Japan, however, they always teach and test you on the accent, which is why I was very surprised (almost shocked TBH) at the results of that accent quiz.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
TBox (Offline)
JF Regular

10-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
In foreign language courses in Japan, however, they always teach and test you on the accent, which is why I was very surprised (almost shocked TBH) at the results of that accent quiz.
The only argument I've heard against teaching pitch accent in courses is that students misunderstand how it works and it leads to them using a meaning destroying stress accent instead. It apparently leads to other ills as well that I can't remember right now. The people who say this say they should just be told to listen to how their teachers say the words and try to follow along. I don't buy it. Your teacher can't be around forever.