Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

About the writing system... - 10-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Hi, I have a book that has charts and tables of the Hiragana and Katakana
letters (or characters.) I wanted to know if the sound that the letter makes
is also the name of the letter. I know its a confusing thing to ask, here is an
example.

(Hiragana character)
makes the sound hi, is that also the name of the letter?
I think it probably is, I just want to make sure so I don't look dumb on the long run.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-22-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayla View Post
Hi, I have a book that has charts and tables of the Hiragana and Katakana
letters (or characters.) I wanted to know if the sound that the letter makes
is also the name of the letter. I know its a confusing thing to ask, here is an
example.

(Hiragana character)
makes the sound hi, is that also the name of the letter?
I think it probably is, I just want to make sure so I don't look dumb on the long run.
Both hiragana and katakana are syllabaries, and each individual hiragana or katakana are characters and not letters. That is important. Also, each hiragana and katakana have only one sound and no meaning. You also refer to each individual character by its sound. So, in your example, ひ is "hi", etc.

As to the sounds, try this:

Japan With Kids - Hiragana Chart With Sound
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-22-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Both hiragana and katakana are syllabaries, and each individual hiragana or katakana are characters and not letters. That is important. Also, each hiragana and katakana have only one sound and no meaning. You also refer to each individual character by its sound. So, in your example, ひ is "hi", etc.

As to the sounds, try this:

Japan With Kids - Hiragana Chart With Sound
Thanks, I know what sound they make, I just wanted to know if there is sort of a name to the/syllabaries I guess. (tell me if thats not how I should use the word.) I thought there was like the name A and the sound it makes is a... sorry if I make things so confusing. But Thanks anyway, now I understand there is no name, and there not evon letters.

Last edited by Cayla : 10-22-2011 at 09:39 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Hiragana is a syllabary and it consists of a group of characters. Kanji are characters, too. I am not sure what do you mean by a "name". Hiragana characters do not mean anything, they simply represent sounds. So, as i said above, ひ is "hi", that is it.

Last edited by ryuurui : 10-22-2011 at 01:05 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-22-2011, 12:22 PM

And it's pronounced like the English word "he", not the greeting "hi" or "high"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Hiragana is a syllabary and it consists of a group of characters. Kanji are characters, too. I am not sure what do you mean by a "name". Hiragana characters do not mean anything, they simply represent sounds. So, as i said above, ひ is "hi", that is it.
I'm 100% sure OP is thinking about how in English each letter has a name in addition to its sounds. For example, the sentence, "'Mom' begins with the letter 'm'" has us using the name for "m," which sounds like "imm." This is the name of the letter. "ei, bee, see, dee, ef, jee, aitch, eye, jay, kay, ell, imm, inn, oh, pee, kyuu, arr, etc." Those are the pronunciations of the names of letters in English. Spanish is the same. For example, "y" is (well, was, until last year) named "i griega," which can be translated into English as "Greek 'i.'" Obviously the name and sound are different! When saying the word "cayo," you say "cayo," not "caigriegao"!

I've never heard anyone refer to the names of kana, so I'm not sure the concept actually exists in Japanese. Even if there is a concept of the name of a kana, it is exactly like the pronunciation of the sound itself. So the "name" for ひ is ひ, and it pronounced exactly the same, to stretch a Western analogy into Japanese.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

10-22-2011, 02:41 PM

A simple question, but I hadn't thought of it before.... Does Japan have spelling bees? And if they did (not sure they do based on these posts), how do they go about it?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

Thumbs up 10-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
A simple question, but I hadn't thought of it before.... Does Japan have spelling bees? And if they did (not sure they do based on these posts), how do they go about it?
The concept of a spelling bee originates in the US, and Wikipedia suggests "spelling bee" is specifically an English-language thing. All my Google searches for spelling bees in Japan turned up only English-language spelling bees in Japan.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-22-2011, 03:08 PM

No such things as spelling bees in Japan as the letters are read in the same way as they are written.

Basically, spelling is no different than saying the word.

There are, on the other hand, kanji events where people compete to write the more complex characters.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

10-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
The concept of a spelling bee originates in the US, and Wikipedia suggests "spelling bee" is specifically an English-language thing. All my Google searches for spelling bees in Japan turned up only English-language spelling bees in Japan.
Thanks for the research! Based on what was said here, I was really doubting the concept would work there....