(#11 (permalink))
Old
TBox (Offline)
JF Regular

10-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Why do you say that?
I said it because it's what I would do. But you're right, I stand corrected. It just makes 桜少年 less likely to be the right translation, though.

It's going to drive me nuts now how nicknaming works in English. Again going with "what I would do" and following the frat boy example, I'd never call the guy pecan tree boy or pecan tree guy, it'd have to be pecan tree. I would call him pecan boy, and possibly pecan, too. I would be happier using pecan than using orange, but contrariwise I would call a person the orange more readily than the pecan. And of course I'm sure it's all regional and you could be completely different. It probably has something to do with what's euphonic.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-24-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBox View Post
I said it because it's what I would do. But you're right, I stand corrected. It just makes 桜少年 less likely to be the right translation, though.

It's going to drive me nuts now how nicknaming works in English. Again going with "what I would do" and following the frat boy example, I'd never call the guy pecan tree boy or pecan tree guy, it'd have to be pecan tree. I would call him pecan boy, and possibly pecan, too. I would be happier using pecan than using orange, but contrariwise I would call a person the orange more readily than the pecan. And of course I'm sure it's all regional and you could be completely different. It probably has something to do with what's euphonic.
Most of what you said comports with my own nicknaming sensibilities.

But "the orange" works for a sentence like "Here comes The Orange," but not for "Hey, The Orange, come over here!"

Eentedesting.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
TBox (Offline)
JF Regular

10-24-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
But "the orange" works for a sentence like "Here comes The Orange," but not for "Hey, The Orange, come over here!"
English has a vocative?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
mackerel (Offline)
New to JF

10-24-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombstonehand View Post
This may seem an odd question, but how would you call someone "cherry blossom boy" as a nickname?
I wouldn't. I call him a "virgin". Like a virgin♪
(#15 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-24-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBox View Post
English has a vocative?
You know, you're right. This may very well be evidence that English is re-acquiring a formal, morphological vocative case.