JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Bpac (Offline)
New to JF

Help Please!!! - 10-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Hi there, I live in Canada and my son was given a shirt as a gift but he doesn't want to wear it unless he knows what it says...

It is written in Japanese and I was wondering if anyone would please tell me what it means?

Thank-you so much

Mark
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-27-2011, 05:23 PM

Nothing offensive, but an odd saying for a shirt...

It means something along the lines of "Please don`t put lemon on my karaage (look here for what it is) without asking me first."

Perhaps a good shirt for someone visiting Japan who likes deep fried chicken but has a citrus allergy? Or someone who is picky about condiments?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-27-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpac View Post

Hi there, I live in Canada and my son was given a shirt as a gift but he doesn't want to wear it unless he knows what it says...

It is written in Japanese and I was wondering if anyone would please tell me what it means?

Thank-you so much

Mark
The writing is vertical. Turn the photo 90 degrees clockwise.

It says "Do not squeeze lemon on my karaage without permission." Karaage is Japanese-styled fried chicken very often served with wedges of lemon.

EDIT: Nyororin beat me to it. She stays up too late!

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.

Last edited by masaegu : 10-27-2011 at 05:27 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-27-2011, 05:42 PM

I'd wear it.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
I'd wear it.
And so would I. It's pretty cool.

I have been wondering about this for many years but when there is writing on a T-shirt, Westerners seem to take it as a message even if it is in a foreign language they cannot read. Japanese usually do not as they only take it as design when it is in a foreign language.

Has anyone noticed this difference?

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.

Last edited by masaegu : 10-27-2011 at 05:58 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
crime60 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to crime60
Talking 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post

I have been wondering about this for many years but when there is writing on a T-shirt, Westerners seem to take it as a message even if it is in a foreign language they cannot read. Japanese usually do not as they only take it as design when it is in a foreign language.

now when you mentioned it,,, hahahahaha,,, this one just cracks me up when ever I remember it,,,, a grope of youg men tacking a pic with one of them standing on the far right with a confident pose wearing a T-Shirt saying "I MY HUSBAND"... He had an angelic sincere ignorant smile on his face while obviously the others were openly LOL at him... hahaha
The poor thing....

"work for your world and living like you will forever live, and work for your hereafter like you'll die tomorrow"
Mohamed (P.B.U.H)

Last edited by crime60 : 10-27-2011 at 06:31 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Bpac (Offline)
New to JF

Thank-you - 10-27-2011, 06:22 PM

Thats funny... "don't squeeze lemon on my karaage"...

Thank-you all so much for your fast and awesome replies... you are the best!!!

The shirt is very cool and if my son doesn't wear it I may try to stretch it out and wear it myself... lol

Hope you all have a great day : )

Mark
(#8 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:

I have noticed some Japanese wearing t-shirts with wording that would be offensive here in the States, as in outright profanity. I wonder if they ask what it means. They're even adorned with glitter and all! Example:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...0002772574.jpg

Then I've seen t-shirts that make no sense or are misspelled and they don't seem to care. I guess it really doesn't make any difference when it comes to wearing a t-shirt.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...0038502584.jpg

What I don't understand is the constant number of people who ask for advice on the proper kanji for a tattoo. I wonder if they think it's cool to wear one in a language that's not their own or hard to read/comprehend.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
TBox (Offline)
JF Regular

10-28-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I wonder if they think it's cool to wear one in a language that's not their own or hard to read/comprehend.
That's exactly what it is. It's the joy of secret knowledge, which leads to the further joy of sharing secrets with friends.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sumippi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:

Yes my bf and I always talk about that when we go shopping and find T-shirts/jackets etc. with strange English messages printed on them. Sometimes we can't find anything without these weird messages (always written in English---and always all messed up) so give up new clothes and just go home. Now almost everything we wear is uni-qlo or 無印良品。

Last edited by Sumippi : 10-28-2011 at 05:21 AM.