JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-31-2011, 03:01 AM

Not to derail but do Japanese learners write horizontally from the beginning? I do not recall ever writing horizontally in elementary school except in arithmetic.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

10-31-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Not to derail but do Japanese learners write horizontally from the beginning? I do not recall ever writing horizontally in elementary school except in arithmetic.
I suppose it depends on the teacher, but in my experience everything is written and read horizontally. Writing and reading vertically comes in the higher level classes. Odd, isn't it?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-31-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
In general, my homeworks from the workbook were printed LR, so we wrote our answers LR. However, our 作文 were always written vertically on 原稿用紙.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-31-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
I suppose it depends on the teacher, but in my experience everything is written and read horizontally. Writing and reading vertically comes in the higher level classes. Odd, isn't it?
Yeah, it is. I cannot help but wonder how smoothly that sudden switch from horizontal to vertical would go.

Teacher: "Class, there's something I've been trying so hard not to tell you but I suppose I can't hide it forever. Um, please brace yourselves and don't shoot me. Contrary to what I may have lead you to believe during the last couple of years, Japanese is officially a vertically-written language. You will not find any newspapers, novels, magazines or even the lines in manga written horizontally in Japan."

Last edited by masaegu : 10-31-2011 at 05:20 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-31-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
However, our 作文 were always written vertically on 原稿用紙.
That is good to hear. I have never written in Japanese anything important horizontally, either in academic or professional settings. I probably even think vertically.

Last edited by masaegu : 10-31-2011 at 07:45 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-31-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamchan View Post
Hello

My kana/kanji handwriting is just terrible. I was thinking about taking calligraphy lessons to get a better understanding about kanji. I do realize that a different technique is used in calligraphy.

Will it somehow still improve my handwriting? Does anyone have experience? Or any other tips that I could use?

Thanks!
in regards to hiragana, have a look at my hiragana etymology, i write the characters there with a brush. to understand the shape of kana you need to know its origin.

Hiragana Etymology | Beyond Calligraphy
(#17 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

10-31-2011, 12:28 PM

It's not like writing vertically compared to horizontally is that big of a change to undertake. And despite Japanese being traditionally vertical, I find myself reading things way more often horizontally (and the percentage would be even higher for beginners, where they wouldn't be reading newspapers, but rather signs, menus, magazines, etc)

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#18 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

10-31-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
It's not like writing vertically compared to horizontally is that big of a change to undertake. And despite Japanese being traditionally vertical, I find myself reading things way more often horizontally (and the percentage would be even higher for beginners, where they wouldn't be reading newspapers, but rather signs, menus, magazines, etc)
horizontal is also traditional, only it goes from right to left.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sumippi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-31-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
You will not find any newspapers, novels, magazines or even the lines in manga written horizontally in Japan."
あ、…そう言われてみれば…。気付かなかった…!!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

10-31-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is. I cannot help but wonder how smoothly that sudden switch from horizontal to vertical would go.
It sucks, and I still hate reading vertically. I always find myself re-reading a line or skipping a line by accident because my eyes didn't form the habit early on like it did with English.
I have to use a piece of paper to guide my eyes from one line to the next.