JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
JapaneseLanguageStudent (Offline)
New to JF

Are my English-to-Japanese translations right-on/good? - 11-29-2011, 12:27 AM

Hi. I'm an American studying Japanese. From using the Genki textbook's lessons, I translated the following from English into Japanese. I tried really hard to get my translations correct. I feel confident on many of them. Nonetheless, I desire that my work is looked over by more competent Japanese language speakers/writers. What do I have translated wrongly? What are my mistranslations? Which needs to be changed to match the English?

I used the kanji that I already know, and hiragana for the words that I haven't yet studied the kanji of. Also, the text in the parentheses wasn't translated and didn't need to be.

Lesson 7

VERB ている
Present tense of verbs

1. Ms. Yamada is singing a Japanese song.
山田さんは日本のうたをうたっています。

2. My little sister is sleeping (right now).
いもうとはねています。

3. My father is cleaning the house (right now).
父はうちをそうじしています。

VERB ている
To describe an occupation

4. Mr. Tanaka teaches English.
田中さんはえい語をおしえています。

5. My mother is employed at Honda.
母はホンダにつとめています。

VERB ている
To describe changes from one state to another

6. Ms. Yamashita is married.
山下さんはけっこんしています。

7. Mr. Kawaguchi is a little overweight.
川口さんはちょっとふとっています。

8. My friend went to Japan (and is still there).
私のともだちは日本に行っています。

Describing physical attributes

9. Ms. Suzuki has long hair.
すずきさんはかみがながいです。

10. That dog’s ears are cute.
そのいぬはみみがかわいいです。

11. My older sister has small feet.
あねはあしが小さいです。

Te forms for joining sentences

12. My little sister is cute and smart. (joining multiple adjectives)
いもうとはかわいくて、あたまがいいです。

13. Grandfather is 75 years old and healthy. (NA adjective and I adjective)
おじいさんは七十五さいで、元気です。

14. I am a student and am busy. (noun plus adjective)
ぼくは学生で、いそがしいです。

Going somewhere with a purpose

15. I went to the restaurant to eat sushi.
ぼくはレストランにすしを食べに行きました。

16. My older brother went to the library to borrow a book.
あにはとしょかんに本をかりに行きました。

17. Ms. Yamada went to the convenience store to buy a magazine.
山田さんはコンビニにざっしをかいに行きました。

Counting people

18. There are six people in my family.
私のかぞくに六人がいます。

19. There are five thousand people in this town.
このまちに五千人がいます。

20. There are 40 people in that small company.
その小さい会社には四十人がいます。

Lesson 8

Short forms – Express the following using informal Japanese.

21. It will rain the day after tomorrow.
あさっては雨がふる。

22. Mr. Tanaka is singing at the party (right now).
田中さんはパーティーでうたっている。

23. I will not go to work tomorrow.
あしたしごとに行かない。

24. This town is quiet.
このまちはしずかだ。

25. My mother is a teacher.
母は先生だ。

Quotations

26. Ms. Suzuki said that she likes Karaoke. (Literally, “Ms. Suzuki said ‘I like Karaoke.’”)
すずきさんは、カラオケをすきだと言っていました。

27. No, father said that the day after tomorrow is the barbeque.
ううん、父は、あさってバーベキューをすると言ってい ました。

28. Grandmother said that she dislikes cleaning.
おばあさんは、そうじがきらいだと言っていました。

Expressing an opinion

29. Yes, I think this disco is boring.
うん、このディスコはつまらないと思います。

30. I think that Ms. Nakamura doesn’t like tomatoes.
中むらさんはトマトがきらいだと思います。

31. I think that my little sister is a good student.
いもうとはいい学生だと思います。

Negative request (“Please don’t ~”)

32. Please don’t stare at me.
私にじろじろ見ないでください。

33. Please don’t sing on the train.
電車の中でうたわないでください。

34. Please don’t drive.
うんてんしないでください。

Verb phrases

35. Studying Japanese is easy.
日本語をべんきょうするのはやさしい。

36. Eating with chopsticks is difficult.
はしで食べるのはむずかしい。

37. Taking pictures is fun.
しゃしんをとるのがたのしい。

38. Mr. Murata is good at speaking English.
むら田さんはえい語をはなすのがじょうずだ。

Particle Showdown: は vs. が!!!

39. Who is wearing glasses?
だれがめがねをかけている?

40. Ms. Suzuki is wearing glasses.
すずきさんがめがねをかけている。

41. The train is here. (Literally, “The train came.”)
電車がきた。

42. Who is going to the park?
だれがこうえんに行く?

Something & Nothing

43. Did you eat something this morning?
けさ何か食べた?

44. I didn’t drink anything yesterday.
きのう何も飲まなかった。

45. Please sing something.
何かうたってください。

46. Do something!
何かして!

Last edited by JapaneseLanguageStudent : 11-29-2011 at 12:48 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-29-2011, 03:36 AM

First, I would like to say that you have been learning well. There are several sentences that I am going to "correct" but please know that these are by my native standards. Books and courses abroad DO teach less than natural-sounding Japanese even when taught by a Japanese speaker. What you have may well get you higher scores than how native speakers would say these.

18. A strong "translated" flavor I sense. Almost all Japanese-speakers would say:

うちは6人かぞくです。

but if what you have is what they teach you, I have nothing to say though I assure you that it sounds very unnatural.

19. に >> には

5千人 >> 5千人の人

But the more natural way of saying this would be:

この町には5千人の人が住(す)んでいます。 住む = to live, reside

Or if I may use the word "population" as a noun:

この町の人口(じんこう)は5千人です。

20. Grammatical but unnatural.

40人 >> 40人の人

By the way, unless we are writing vertically, we rarely use kanji numbers, which is what you have seen above.

22. Grammatical but ambiguous. Your sentence CAN sound like it is Tanaka's profession.

Add いま and/or ~~ところです if you have learned the latter = ("to be in the middle of doing ~~").

田中さんはいまパーティーでうたっています。
田中さんはいまパーティーでうたっているところです。

23. Sounds very foreign to me.

あした >> あしたは = as for tomorrow

25. Grammatical but poor word choice.

先生 >> 教師(きょうし) OR 教員(きょういん)

The word 先生 is over-used by Japanese-learners. It is more an honorific than a profession.

When talking to an adult speaker, use one of the two words given above.
When talking to a kid, you may use 先生.

26. を >> が

Excellent verb tense choice!! It is the native speaker's choice! (for #27 and #28 as well)
Many Japanese-learners would have used the plain past tense there.

There are more but I need to go now. Will do the rest if no one else has by then.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-29-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Excellent verb tense choice!! It is the native speaker's choice! (for #27 and #28 as well)
Many Japanese-learners would have used the plain past tense there.
いう is for plain ol' saying, but いっている is for more of a "reporting/informing" sense, right?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-29-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
いう is for plain ol' saying, but いっている is for more of a "reporting/informing" sense, right?
Right. It gives more value to the content of what was said than when いう/いった is used.

Use いう/いった in situations where native speakers would use いっている/いっていた and you will sound very indifferent.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

11-29-2011, 06:28 AM

Here is the rest.

31. Grammatical but unnatural.
We do not really say いい学生 in this context but then anything we would say naturally would not even look like the English sentence, so let us leave it as is.

(For the non-beginning learner, we say 「よくできる学生」 or 「優秀(ゆうしゅう)な学生」)

32. に >> を
The rest is super-natural.

35. Not quite (though that may be how they teach you to say it.)
「日本語の勉強はやさしいです。」

37. が >> は

39. Colloquially, correct. But I would imagine that, at your level, you would be required to use か in every question. いる >> いますか

42. Same problem with # 39

(#6 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

12-04-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Here is the rest.

31. Grammatical but unnatural.
We do not really say いい学生 in this context but then anything we would say naturally would not even look like the English sentence, so let us leave it as is.

(For the non-beginning learner, we say 「よくできる学生」 or 「優秀(ゆうしゅう)な学生」)

32. に >> を
The rest is super-natural.

35. Not quite (though that may be how they teach you to say it.)
「日本語の勉強はやさしいです。」

37. が >> は

39. Colloquially, correct. But I would imagine that, at your level, you would be required to use か in every question. いる >> いますか

42. Same problem with # 39

Thanks very much for your help! I couldn't have asked for better!! I appreciate all that you've done.

But I do have a few clarification questions and comments.

For #18, What I wrote is awkward; however, what you wrote isn't what is taught. That's not to say that I doubt you. I don't doubt you at all, in your statement that what you have written is what almost all native Japanese would say. You know, it's another one of those in-classroom versus in-real-life differences. I must conform to what the books says, to do well on quizzes and exams. The Genki textbook for my JPN class uses imasu for counting people, and not desu. Since that's the case do you think it'd be acceptable if I write 私のかぞくが六人います。 ? Is it better than my original? Is that less awkward, more of a regular sounding statement? Or would that be just as awkward as what I first wrote?

For #19 and #20, the Genki textbook doesn't use #number#人の人. Therefore, I can't use it. Thanks for bringing it up to me; I'll try to keep in mind for when I interact with native speakers outside the class.

When you wrote "Grammatical", what is it that you mean? Does that mean that it's grammatically correct?

As a beginner, writing and using the kanji for numbers helps me memorize them. Plainly and simply, numerical numbers do not help beginners in the task of memorizing kanji. I must know the kanjis, period. And I hate it, very much, when language-learning study aids use numerical numbers instead of spelling them. I disagree strongly with that practice.

For #22, I decided on 田中さんは今パーティーでうたっている。 Note that I tried to make it informal. Is there any way that it could be made more informal? Or is that as informal of a statement as can be? It cannot get more informal, can it?

For #25, I must use 先生. My textbook doesn't have, in its glossary, those other terms you wrote. As with our discussion with the above #18, 19 and 20, it's another one of those in-classroom versus in-real-life differences. Thanks for bringing it up, though.

For #32, When you wrote "super-natural", what is it that you mean? Clarify.

For #35, I decided on 日本語のべんきょうはやさしい。 Note that I didn't add です at the end. Is that acceptable? Or should I use a だ , because it otherwise would sound awkward? The chapter 8 piece of this assignment is supposed to be informal.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-04-2011, 06:50 AM

It is quite alright: You can doubt me all you want. I am just an Internet stranger. I may actually know no Japanese (after 18 years of schooling and over 20 years of professional experience in Japan and all in Japanese ). I may just be another weeaboo pretending to be Japanese online, but I really could not care less what I may appear to be to strangers. At least, they have my 2,500 posts to judge me by. I will let those speak.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-04-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapaneseLanguageStudent View Post
For #18, What I wrote is awkward; however, what you wrote isn't what is taught. I must conform to what the books says, to do well on quizzes and exams. The Genki textbook... For #19 and #20, the Genki textbook doesn't use #number#人の人. Therefore, I can't use it.
PLEASE don't think this. Genki teaches you basic grammar but there's no reason you can't learn and use natural Japanese too. Speak with your teacher (I'm assuming that she/he is a native speaker)- if they are worth their salt they shouldn't mind that you're trying other ways of forming sentences- check 'natural' Japanese that you find with them for accuracy and appropriateness and discuss it! Stick your hand up in class and say 'About the homework, I heard Japanese people might say うちは6人かぞくです' I think that as long as you only use language you have passed by your teacher first, then it shouldn't be a problem at all, even on tests.

Quote:
As a beginner, writing and using the kanji for numbers helps me memorize them. Plainly and simply, numerical numbers do not help beginners in the task of memorizing kanji. I must know the kanjis, period. And I hate it, very much, when language-learning study aids use numerical numbers instead of spelling them. I disagree strongly with that practice.
I used to feel like this too, but while it's good for memorisation, it makes your writing look weird because other than 百、千 and 万、the number kanji are rarely seen. It's a little like using roman numerals for everything in english-> It's XI o'clock instead of it's 11 o'clock. Also being confronted with numerical numbers means you HAVE to try and think of them in Japanese. Definitely learn your number kanji, but also learn how to quickly read 12,453 in Japanese too, because you'll more often than not need to say it!

Quote:
For #22, I decided on 田中さんは今パーティーでうたっている。 Note that I tried to make it informal. Is there any way that it could be made more informal? Or is that as informal of a statement as can be? It cannot get more informal, can it?
It can be more informal, but that would much more slangy language, also the use of さん makes that difficult.

Quote:
For #25, I must use 先生.
Bring this up with your teacher- You should certainly NOT use 先生 to talk about yourself and really it's at odds with the sentence too. See if your teacher agrees that he/she wouldn't say 私は先生です if someone asked her お仕事は?. 教師 would be much better. If you said to me in the middle of class 「母は先生です」 it's almost like you're implying that the (or my!) teacher is your mother, or your mother is also your teacher, not that it's your mother's profession.

Quote:
For #32, When you wrote "super-natural", what is it that you mean? Clarify.
Say please. He means it sounds very natural.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

12-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
It is quite alright: You can doubt me all you want. I am just an Internet stranger. I may actually know no Japanese (after 18 years of schooling and over 20 years of professional experience in Japan and all in Japanese ). I may just be another weeaboo pretending to be Japanese online, but I really could not care less what I may appear to be to strangers. At least, they have my 2,500 posts to judge me by. I will let those speak.
Um, you took offense to that? Don't be easily offended. I was praising you. It was a compliment. Instead got the response as if I disrespected you. I was trying to establish my logic as to why I was not could not use desu and had to use imasu. Is my new sentence also awkward?

Stranger, I thanked you and had more questions. You've been very helpful.