JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Yocchan (Offline)
New to JF

レジャッコ - 12-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Hello,

I found this term "レジャッコ" in a manga. But even my Japanese teacher didn´t know what it means. It should be some sort of car, but I figured this would be some abbreviation, as Japanese love that. Does anyone know what does it stand for?
Thanks)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocchan View Post
Hello,

I found this term "レジャッコ" in a manga. But even my Japanese teacher didn´t know what it means. It should be some sort of car, but I figured this would be some abbreviation, as Japanese love that. Does anyone know what does it stand for?
Thanks)
It is a slang word meaning a "family car" or "privately-owned car" as opposed to a car owned by a business, which often tends to be larger in size.

Look up 「レジャー」 if you are not familiar with it.

「こ」 or 「っこ」 is a suffix used to colloquially emphasize the smallness or cuteness of a thing. I am sure you have seen this if you study Japanese.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Yocchan (Offline)
New to JF

12-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
It is a slang word meaning a "family car" or "privately-owned car" as opposed to a car owned by a business, which often tends to be larger in size.

Look up 「レジャー」 if you are not familiar with it.

「こ」 or 「っこ」 is a suffix used to colloquially emphasize the smallness or cuteness of a thing. I am sure you have seen this if you study Japanese.
Thanks for your help. The funny side is, that all I found, when I googled it was a family van.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

12-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocchan View Post
Thanks for your help. The funny side is, that all I found, when I googled it was a family van.
These notions of size and cuteness are relative. If you were driving a van for work, you would not regard another van running on the same street as being large or cute. But if you were driving a big truck, you would regard the same van as small enough to call a レジャッコ. So, vans are included in what people call by that name.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.