JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ChannelR (Offline)
New to JF

為に and ように - 12-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Hey, I've searched the internet and every source that touches on the difference between the two clearly, but so far I'm out of luck. So to me who has only studied ように until now, 大学に入る為に一生懸命勉強します vs 大学に入るように一生懸命勉強します look almost the same to me.

If someone could clearly state the differences between the two I'd be really grateful. Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sumippi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2011, 11:25 PM

大学に入る為に一生懸命勉強します sounds fine to me but I wouldn't say 大学に入るように一生懸命勉強します. I'd say 大学に入れるように一生懸命勉強します.

But...what's the difference? Hmmm...

I think (〇〇する+)ために is rather polite and preferred in a written style, while (〇〇できる+)ように sounds a bit colloquial. (Wait, you can also say 大学に入れるよう、一生懸命勉強します, which would sound more formal and bookish.)

I think it's something similar to the difference between 'I'll study hard (in order) to pass the entrance exam' and 'I'll study hard so that I can pass the entrance exam.'

Last edited by Sumippi : 12-12-2011 at 03:03 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sumippi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-12-2011, 04:11 PM

Maybe you can post your question here too... so you'll have more chance to get better answers.

Japanologic Forums • Index page,

because of this: http://www.japanforum.com/forum/site...-recovery.html
------------------------

I went through my dictionary but couldn't find any major difference between these two phrases. Only there seems to be just a small difference like;

・・・するために shows a more direct purpose. You can say 彼女に会うために来た(I have come here to see her.), and also 賞を得るために彼は一生懸命勉強した(He worked hard in order to win the prize.)

・・・できるように shows a purpose which will be achieved rather spontaneously/ indirectly. For example... 彼は聞こえるように大きな声で話した(He spoke loudly so as to be heard.)

Last edited by Sumippi : 12-12-2011 at 04:16 PM.