JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Help with Learning Japanese? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/42806-help-learning-japanese.html)

tiger21 01-25-2012 05:54 PM

Help with Learning Japanese?

For years, I have been interested in learning Japanese as a side project. Currently, I am a Graphic Design student, but I have a lot of free time on my hands and I would love to use that time to learn a new language. Unfortunately, after beginning my research a few months ago, I quickly became frustrated.

At the beginning of my endeavors, I purchased Human Japanese as an introductory course in Japanese. I was pleasantly surprised. However, it was fairly obvious that Human Japanese would not bring me anywhere near being fluent in the language, but I knew this from the start. I was okay with that. With that in mind, I was willing to make a major purchase of another program to learn more. After reading page after after of reviews of programs such as Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone, JapanesePod101, etc., the frustration began.

I read mostly about Pimsleur. I was told by countless sources that Pimsleur was the most effective way to learn a new language. However, just before making the purchase of the Pimsleur program, I ran into a number of reviews that said otherwise. I was informed that while Pimsleur teaches Japanese, it simply is not enough to hold a long "normal" conversation in Japanese and that it's only "polite" Japanese. Is this true?

I was under the impression that a major purchase would at least give me the ability to watch a Japanese sitcom and understand most of what I hear (while filling in the blanks with a Japanese dictionary). However, with every program that I do research on, I am always told "It's just not good enough." I would really like to find out what is good enough. As I said before, I am willing to make a major purchase. However, I don't want to waste the money on something that is not going to get me very far.

So, to put my question in a nutshell... What would be the best purchase that I could make that would take me as far as possible and give me the ability to listen to a normal everyday Japanese conversation (not just polite) and understand most of what I hear (again using a Japanese dictionary to fill in the blanks for vocabulary)?

Thank you very much! :)

masaegu 01-26-2012 02:49 AM

As you have witnessed above, this is a dead website. We have all moved to a new spam-free site:

Japanologic Forums • Portal

I suggest you make the move as well.

RobinMask 01-26-2012 03:37 PM

You've probably noticed that this site is just filled with spam . . .

I'm assuming that no one's replied to this properly, or if they have it's been lost in the spam, but you should go to Japanologic Forums • Portal - all the members who were once on here that could help you have moved to the new site. There's no spam over there, too!

Mosunshine 01-30-2012 08:38 AM

Hi Tiger21,

I think online schools are a worth taking a look at before you purchase expensive learning tools.

One of the best, and one that offers reasonably priced group lessons is JOI
Give their 3 Trial Lessons a go and see what you think before spending lots of money.
JOI - Learn Japanese Online

Supperman 02-03-2012 01:05 PM

Hi.
I don't understand your English, because it is too difficult for me.
Yet, if you're hungry, I have some extra sandwiches.
Would you like to share with me? :)

Supperman 02-03-2012 01:19 PM

OK.
Sure, then what about next Sunday?

I will prepare a big tea for you!

Supperman 02-04-2012 02:07 AM

Hey, repeating the same comment is probably regarded as "spams". :)

Can you do it more smarter, if you're human beings?

Or you might be an alien, aren't you?
Or you might be a devil?
Or you might be merely a machine, right? :confused:

emadalomari 02-05-2012 05:36 PM

hi

hi
could u anyone translate this sentence to me ......... id be so grateful to him

this is a pic of it

thanks in advance

emadalomari 02-05-2012 05:36 PM

hi

hi