JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nisto (Offline)
New to JF

Hoping someone here can shed some light on this - 02-04-2012, 01:27 AM

Hi. I registered here in hope of figuring out just exactly what a track title from a Japanese video game soundtrack properly translates to.

It is called 火炎婁 and the track title even have furigana for it: かえんろう

Now, it doesn't take much to find out that the first part (火炎) means "flame", "blaze", or "inflammable". But the last kanji of the title is what confuses me. I've looked it up on a lot of pages, and I've seen these English counterparts for it:

A Chinese constellation (astronomical sign) called "Bond" (I see this on almost every site that has it translated, but it sounds dumb coupled with "Flame")
Wear (to wear something)
Frequently
Tie (not sure if this is supposed to be tie, as in a tie in a match, or... the clothing)
Star (but it's probably for the Cantonese form)

The song itself sounds pretty serious. But I can't give more detail than that, as I have not actually played the game - I only own the soundtrack for it.

To be more precise, it is a song from the game Digimon Digital Card Battle, maybe someone here played it? That may help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by Nisto : 02-04-2012 at 01:34 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-04-2012, 02:02 AM

Hi.
I'm native Japanese speaker.

I know 火炎 well ,but I don't know 婁.
I looked for it in my dictionary, but there is no reasonable explanation.

So I'm on the same place just you're now.

My advice is here:
I think it is impossible to translate.
I don't think that 婁 is Japanese. I think it is Chinese.
The only possible solution is to ask directly to the writer (lyrics writer).

Sometimes lyrics is difficult to understand, even when it is written in native language, right? The song title might be something like that.
The writer chose the Kanji, maybe just because it is "stylish".
Or he chose it, just because of "pun".

We can't guess it.
So I think it is ridiculous to pursuit the meaning unless the writer explains about it.
I googled Japanese websites, if there is any comments on this.
But I failed.

Sorry.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nisto (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2012, 02:59 AM

The song has no lyrics (no singer and no writer). To be specific, I used the word "song" instead of "track" to not re-use the same word a lot. I know that when it's directly translated to Japanese it can seem like a musical piece that has words in it. Anyway, that is not the case here.

Also, there is pretty much no way for me to reach the composer, since he is not very popular, and I haven't been able to find a way to contact him. Since the album was released over 10 years ago, it makes it even harder to get in touch with him or anyone else that worked on the soundtrack.

I don't think it's impossible to translate the title. I have stumbled across more "cryptic" things, like sentences that has onomatopoeia (SFX) in it.

Is there any chance 火炎 could mean something other than the three previously mentioned words?

Thanks
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-04-2012, 10:04 AM

I got it.

かえんろう is pun ( a word play), kaenro means "You cannot buy it, aren't you?"

Hope this helps!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nisto (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2012, 11:49 PM

Thanks, but I'm too sceptic about this. I give up. Thank you for trying!

I was wondering if you could help me with another one though.
It's called "無礼講じゃ!". I read a Japanese article about 無礼講 and apparently it's a social party of sorts. But then I started switching around the pieces a bit and I'm starting to think it should be divided like so: 無礼 (impolite, rude) | 講 ((buddhist) meeting) | じゃ (copula;bye;well (then);in the result of something)

It seems more likely, because it sounds like the type of music you hear in movies where you see (inside) a temple, etc.

Anyways, do you have any thoughts on a good translation here?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-05-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
I got it.

かえんろう is pun ( a word play), kaenro means "You cannot buy it, aren't you?"

Hope this helps!
Bullshit. Never do this again.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nisto (Offline)
New to JF

02-06-2012, 06:46 PM

I found where this music is played, and also for the previous song I asked about:

"無礼講じゃ!"
【DWの危機再び】デジモンワールドデジタルカードバト 18戦目 - YouTube
Here, this phrase is mentioned: "問答無用じゃ!!", which seems to mean "There's no use in arguing about it!", but I don't think that's a direct alternative to the actual track title.

"火炎婁"
【DWの危機再び】デジモンワールドデジタルカードバト  4戦目 - YouTube
As you can see here, it's a monster that basically... wears flames. But there's also a slight chance that they could be referring to the "star" system they have when you walk around the world in the game. When you've entered all the locations in the game, you've sort of built your own "constellation" ( see the beginning of this video: 【DWの危機再び】デジモンワールドデジタルカードバト 24戦目 - YouTube ).

I hope this may help you/us in the quest of translating these tracks.

Thanks once again.