JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

05-15-2007, 02:53 AM

The problem with learning Japanese is that almost every teacher will teach you to speak like a text book & you end up sounding really unnatural.
I have never studied officially just picked up from living here for 4 years & talking to people. My Japanese is probably not technically as good as many people's (I really suck at studying languages) but I never have any problems being understood in Japan whereas many people I know that speak technically great Japanese can never seem to get themself understood
(#12 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-15-2007, 02:54 AM

Calling themselves in 3rd person? well i have only heard that in anime, but not in actual conversation. Maybe because I don't interact with Japanese people in those ages.

Among friends, you can always ask first what they would like to be called. Like me, my name is long and very hard to pronounce for them, so I have an easy nickname which I always tell them to call me during introduction.

Before calling anybody on other name, besides the name they actually gave you. Ask first, so that they will not be offended by you

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Lacey (Offline)
New to JF

05-15-2007, 03:11 AM

Yeah...I know I sound like a textbook sometimes :P But I'm getting better! The funny think is...sometimes I sound like a textbook while speaking English, too! Too many science classes drian your brain.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

05-15-2007, 05:40 AM

I speak Bad Japanese I'm trying to stop my self from using words like ore and Ja ne to older people (its a real bad habit and i get Scolded for it some times )

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#15 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-16-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroneko View Post
I speak Bad Japanese I'm trying to stop my self from using words like ore and Ja ne to older people (its a real bad habit and i get Scolded for it some times )
there are some who are very particular with proper japanese, which i think is good. I always remind them to correct whenever I use some "anime-learned" words, which most of the time are rude to be used on daily conversation.
There was a time when my japanese was "otokoppoi", meaning it sounded more like words used by men

My Japan Life

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

05-16-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
there are some who are very particular with proper japanese, which i think is good. I always remind them to correct whenever I use some "anime-learned" words, which most of the time are rude to be used on daily conversation.
There was a time when my japanese was "otokoppoi", meaning it sounded more like words used by men
My ex girl friend speeks in otokoppoi. I think its cool

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#17 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-16-2007, 02:29 AM

well, I think so too. But you don't want to get those weird looks from Japanese ppl

My Japan Life

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

05-16-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
well, I think so too. But you don't want to get those weird looks from Japanese ppl
She is Japanese... But when she talks to older people (except her parents) she doesn't talk that way.