JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mozzy (Offline)
New to JF

01-04-2009, 10:18 PM

Message deleted.

Last edited by Mozzy : 10-30-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Deleted.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kayxiah221 (Offline)
New to JF

01-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Haha we have the same dreams ^-^ That would probably be a well enough time to learn japanese. But it would probably take a full seven years to master it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-05-2009, 12:13 AM

With 6 to 7 hours in class a week and probably twice that in personal study/homework I had a pretty functional use of Japanese.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

01-05-2009, 12:17 AM

another way to learn would be to have Japanese speaking friends to practice with. Reading books is great... but if you never practice what you learn, then it takes even longer to learn it. I studied french for five years during high school... and I don't remember any of it, because I never used the language outside of the lessons.

I learned to speak and understand urdu without ever opening a book by just talking to my friends. And I am not even Pakistani or Indian.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
I'm thinking about maybe going to study in Japan, or have an exchange trip there. I'm 14 now, is 4 years ok for learning japanese? I am currently learning by myself, as no-one here teaches Japanese. Any tips would be appreciated.
This guy learned Japanese in 18 months.

CaptainThunder's Japanese Starter Pak:
AJATT: Learn Japanese through immersion anytime, anywhere.
Reviewing the Kanji: Track your progress through Heisig's Remembering the Kanji.
Guide to Japanese: Explanations of all basic and intermediate Japanese grammar points.
Rikaichan: Pop-up Japanese dictionary plugin for Firefox.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

01-05-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThunder View Post
This guy learned Japanese in 18 months.
.... i'm impressed that he did it, but i've always though of his method as a bit sad. I'm not gna try it. 24/7 is just...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-05-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouichisan View Post
.... i'm impressed that he did it, but i've always though of his method as a bit sad. I'm not gna try it. 24/7 is just...
You used your native language 24/7 when you were learning, so I don't see what's so sad about it.

Admittedly his method isn't for everyone, but if you really want to learn a language badly, why not go all the way? You have to use some language(s) on a daily basis, so what's the harm in controlling which one you use?

Reviewing the Kanji: Track your progress through Heisig's Remembering the Kanji.
Guide to Japanese: Explanations of all basic and intermediate Japanese grammar points.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

01-05-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThunder View Post
You used your native language 24/7 when you were learning, so I don't see what's so sad about it.

Admittedly his method isn't for everyone, but if you really want to learn a language badly, why not go all the way? You have to use some language(s) on a daily basis, so what's the harm in controlling which one you use?
Well immersing yourself in Anime 24/7 is sad... people need to get a life. Watching it now and again is ok. So I don't agree with his method, but if it works.. you can feel free to try it.

Note: I already speak three languages... Japanese will be my fourth.

Last edited by kouichisan : 01-05-2009 at 12:52 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-05-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouichisan View Post
Well immersing yourself in Anime 24/7 is sad... people need to get a life. Watching it now and again is ok. So I don't agree with his method, but if it works.. you can feel free to try it.
It doesn't have to be anime that you immerse yourself in; you never have to watch any anime at all with AJATT if you don't want to. The point is that you're always doing something in Japanese.

Not that I want to convince you of anything, just pointing out the misconception; I'll agree that it's not a method for everyone

(#10 (permalink))
Old
BakaCrisis (Offline)
(。・_・。)σ

Send a message via AIM to BakaCrisis Send a message via MSN to BakaCrisis Send a message via Skype™ to BakaCrisis
01-05-2009, 01:39 AM

I respect that guy for dedicating that time to a language.

Teach me Japanese (Skype: davidh053090 )