JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
gnomon (Offline)
New to JF

Help needed with a handwritten notice! - 02-20-2014, 02:58 PM

Hi,

I'm seeking help in deciphering a message from a friend of mine who has decided to put my virtually non-existent knowledge of Japanese to a test, with sadly the most foreseeable results up-to-date! After copious attempts at Google handwriting translator and after all the comparative work i've done with the Hiragana character table i'm arriving at nothing that makes sense.(

The message reads as follows:

From my absolute newbie level - all i can tell is the predominance of Hiragana characters in the second word and the presence of Kanji characters in the former. Needless to say, for someone not having a Kanji guidebook at hand - locating these characters in low-quality .jpg Kanji tables available on the net seems to be a task impossible to achieve (or, should i say, that's probably how a very first attempt at understanding Japanese alphabet always looks like!).

I would be most grateful if someone from the forum community could enlighten me on the topic!)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-21-2014, 12:02 AM

It says:

勉強がんばって!!

勉強 is read べんきょう.

The phrase means "Study hard!"

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
gnomon (Offline)
New to JF

02-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Hi Masageu, thanks ever so much for your help! I can tell now how inaccurate were my guesses as to the hiragana letters - in fact, i managed to identify correctly only ん and て! Clearly, i should take the advice given by my friend - and i will follow the new forum that you mention.

ありがとう!