JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RitsukaAoyagi (Offline)
New to JF

Question 覇 doubt - 06-20-2014, 05:20 AM

Hi!
So here it's me again with a doubt related to the Saint Seiya series.

The question is about the 覇 (Ha) kanji. This kanji appears in an attack/technique name from one of the protagonists of this series, Shiryuu of the Dragon constellation. So, because he is one of the main characters and this is his principal move, this technique appears in several episodes.

The technique in question is called 廬山昇龍覇 (Rozan Shō Ryū Ha), which everything before the 覇 is quite easy to translate. = Mount Lu's Rising Dragon. My problem at translating is if I translate it as the "Supreme Rising Dragon", or the "Rising Dragon Supremacy". (I guess that probably both options are correct, but I want to make sure I will use the most correct option.)
At jisho, I found this: Kanji details for 覇 - Denshi Jisho

And at goo, what I find is は【覇】[漢字項目]の意味 - 国語辞書 - goo辞書 which makes me understand this "supremacy" we're talking about comes with "force". Which could explain why some people bizarrely translates it as "Rising Dragon Force". (Chuck Norris, anyone?)

Is there another point to make a relation of "Rising Dragon Force" and "Rising Dragon Supremacy"? Maybe because it is an attack, and drawing a comparison, as most of the attacks names from this series end with 拳, like ペガサス流星拳, and everything being about throwing an amount of energy to knock out someone, maybe this is why people translate it as "force", as someone would translate 拳 as "fist"/"punch".

But still, "force" or "supremacy", it still sounds strange to me, and I would like to know how is the most correct (and if it's possible, literal) way to call this technique.

I googled "覇 supreme" and didn't find much things to base my theory of "Supreme Rising Dragon" being right. The only thing I found is that there's a manga called 覇-LORD-: 覇-LORD- - Wikipedia.

And later, in the series, there will be another technique carrying this kanji, 廬山百龍覇, One Hundred Rising Dragons Supremacy, or One Hundred Supreme Rising Dragons?

I would be really thankful if someone answers this doubt.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
06-20-2014, 09:26 AM

It is no longer the issue of Japanese language but a issue of game world.

How about "Rising Dragon Special"?

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RitsukaAoyagi (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
It is no longer the issue of Japanese language but a issue of game world.

How about "Rising Dragon Special"?
I will think about it. I was thinking more to trying to be more literal, but it's difficult.