JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
82riceballs (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2007, 07:00 PM

when i first started learning, i didn't know there was such a thing as romaji...
1. Hiragana + basic sentence structure
2. Katakana + (still) basic sentence structure
Now, I'm on
3. Kanji + more complex sentence structure but (still) kind of basic.

the textbook i used was japanese for young people.

じゃ !
(#12 (permalink))
Old
TsukiHana (Offline)
New to JF

06-28-2007, 06:03 AM

I am infact learning Japanese now and we are starting with Hiragana with kanji and vocab all mixed in, no katakana yet, purely Japanese. In a weeks time we should be starting sentence structure and grammar.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
06-29-2007, 04:26 PM

I do hiragana with grammar. I first started with kanji's though and found that wasn't a good idea and went to hiragana with grammar. I moved to kanji and still doing thoes atm....I should really learn katakana
(#14 (permalink))
Old
BlueGirl (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to BlueGirl Send a message via MSN to BlueGirl Send a message via Yahoo to BlueGirl
06-29-2007, 04:30 PM

I started with vocab and stuff, through podcasts, and learn hiragana and katakana together at Real Kana - Practice Hiragana and Katakana

This site rocks! I'm looking at Kanji a little, but I'm not worrying too much about it yet since I don't know all the hiragana etc. yet.

Family
Sister: EmoxPride
Cousin: ToKyObOxRoBoT, Jo_Kittie
Cousin in Law: NanteNa
Creepy Next-Door-Neighbor: Kittenx
Japanese, Korean and Hong Kong Street Fashion
(#15 (permalink))
Old
WickedStyles (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to WickedStyles Send a message via MSN to WickedStyles Send a message via Yahoo to WickedStyles
06-29-2007, 06:54 PM

I started with vocab, then sentence structure + grammar.
It's because I listen to and watch a lot of things in Japanese. ie: jpop, anime, and videos of random Japanese stuff.

Learning how to read it isn't a problem yet. . . I rarely even read things in English. ^^
But I have so many different things to study from, if I do need to read any of them, I have charts. . . and the internet.

I'm going to be taking a class in the fall and I'm sure they'll teach me anyway.

-When in doubt BLOW STUFF UP!!
-Everyone should love three things: computers, cars, and Japan!
-Dude, you just hit me with a cookie!
-English sucks cuzz I already know it.
-Do you think I would have said it in front of you if I thought you would get it?
-I hate when people tell me I have common sense, it's degrading.

Wicked Styles quotes (thats right, this is stuff that I said)
(#16 (permalink))
Old
kingkaleigh (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to kingkaleigh Send a message via Yahoo to kingkaleigh
wha? - 06-29-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COnfidential View Post
In what order do you guys think we should start learning the language?
Start with Hiragana --> Katakana --> Several Kanji --> Grammar --> sentence structure.... Im just asking:9 hoping for many good answers
Wha> ur starting with names? shouldn't u start with the aphalbet? or do they not have 1?

KingKaahn[/color]
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kaya (Offline)
New to JF

06-30-2007, 08:26 AM

Hi guys! I was wondering if any of you are familiar with a game called Slime Forest http://lrnj.com/slimeforest.html?
I downloaded the game and played it for a week, meaning that I was able to recognize all the Katakana and Hiragana, and a few basic Kanji. Then two months ago I moved and was separated from the old computer (besides I don't have the time for practising the game anymore as I am working full time this whole summer), so now I don't remember one single kana at all...bleh, all that playing for nothing, I don't remember any of them and what sounds they represents...quite annoying, but I still think that it was a good way of learning how to recognize the different kana. Of course, you need patience, and repetition (a lot of it), but it was still a great way to learn. For a long time I've wanted to try to learn the kana signs, but I have never had the motivation to sit down with a table of the different kana and tried to memorize them that way. By playing a game - not a very exciting game, really, but still a game where you interact, you have a goal, and you learn by repetition - I found that this helped a lot. So when I'm done working this summer and I get my own computer again, I'm definitely going to play the game again. Of course, I'll have to start back from scratch again (dang...but maybe it'll come back faster than when it was all new...).
Anyway, I just thought it could be a good idea for anyone who wants to learn the kana signs, but don't have the motivation to sit down with a piece of paper and try to memorize them that way.
Also, I feel you have the possibility to interact more than if you use Real Kana - Practice Hiragana and Katakana (but I can imagine this is a great way to recognize the different ways you can draw the same kana, so I will use this one too after I refresh my memory with Slime Forest).

Japanese is the only language I hear so often that I catch up on new words without having studied so much as one page of a textbook...does that make me an anime addict?