JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kasabian (Offline)
New to JF

Greetings? - 06-12-2007, 11:39 PM

Hi guys and girls

I was just woundering if some one could help me out starting to learn Japanese. I currently know nothing about the language so the way i see it, I would be best of learning some greetings first. Im just looking for simple things like "Hello" "Hi, how are you?" that sort of stuff. also things like "Please" and "Thank you"

Also if you think theres a better way to start please let me know. I was thinking of mabey doing it at college, but after going to 4 colleges here not one of them teach Japanese!? So that means im gonna have to teach myself (hopefully you people can help me out )

Another thing I want to ask is I noticed that some people type Japanese using the ussuall letters such as "abc" and others use the stereotypical Japanese style of writing. My question is which would I be better of learning? Or should I learn them both? Also would it be best to learn to type the words as I learn to speak or should I learn to speak then after learn to type?

One Last thing, how do i type in the Japanese style of writing (and mabey what is this style of writing called?) on a computer? Do i need to instal somthing or is it just a simple command?

Thanks. (sorry if that didnt make much sence)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Katchan6 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-13-2007, 12:54 AM

i hav this thing on the computer where when u change the language, and u choose japanese, theres this output system thing (i hav no idea about it) but u can type in hiragana, katakana or kanji.
i think my mum downloaded it coz its not on other computers but i dont no where to get it...
sorry that wasnt very helpful ^-^''

「えっ、知らないの? ずくだんずんぶんぐんゲーム。」
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Seiryuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-13-2007, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katchan6 View Post
i hav this thing on the computer where when u change the language, and u choose japanese, theres this output system thing (i hav no idea about it) but u can type in hiragana, katakana or kanji.
i think my mum downloaded it coz its not on other computers but i dont no where to get it...
sorry that wasnt very helpful ^-^''
I think you're referring to the Global IME.

Try Microsoft.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

06-13-2007, 05:02 AM

Start by learning Hiragana and Katakana. Just do a google search to find them. The 'abc' letter system that you're referring to is a romanization of Japanese called 'romaji'. It's useless. Learn Hiragana/Katakana first - it will take you a couple weeks. After that you can start learning simple vocabulary/sentence structure.

For spoken Japanese, there's a decent site for beginners at Learn Japanese with Japanesepod101.com

At first glance, it appears to be a paysite only, but you can listen to the audio podcasts for free and start learning simple spoken Japanese. That's the best place for people who can't learn Japanese at a school to start learning simple phrases and whatnot. They have more intermediate/advanced content as well.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Kasabian (Offline)
New to JF

06-13-2007, 12:38 PM

Ok, thank you very much for your help, it is most appreciated.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
loveless09 (Offline)
New to JF

... - 06-13-2007, 02:19 PM

ur best bet is to start off learning hiragana. reveiw them a lot and make sure u know them.then do katakana,after that, do kanji. its best to learn hirgana first because u'll see a lot of it.katakana is used for foreign language.

greetingshayou gozaimasu-good morning-used b4 10:30 or 11am
konnichiwa-hello-used after 11:30
konbanwa-good night-not used when someone is leaving at night,used after sunset
other usefuls:
sayounara-goodbye
doumo, doumo arigatou, arigatou,arigatou gozaimasu-thanks,thanks much,thank you,thank u very much
o-genki desu ka?-how are you?
o-kagesama de genki desu.-with ur honorable help i am well.(really formal)
genki desu-i am well
iie-no
hai-yes
onegaishimasu-if you please
douzo-please
yoroshiku onegaishimasu-please be kind to me if you please
abunai!-look out!be careful!
dame desu-not good

there are many more!

baibai!^_^
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Kasabian (Offline)
New to JF

06-13-2007, 03:24 PM

Ok, so im gonna try learn 'Hiragana' but im strugling with somthing

kuruma = = car

Ok so i can identify the different parts I think, but where did the word 'kuruma' come from if the Japanese spell it くるま? Is 'kuruma' romaji?

Sorry if this makes no sence, thanks for all the help so far
(#8 (permalink))
Old
xvalilix (Offline)
New to JF

06-13-2007, 04:15 PM

@loveless09: you made a mistake.
Actually, Kombanwa is good evening, and Oyasuminasai is good night.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
hanes (Offline)
New to JF

06-13-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasabian View Post
Ok, so im gonna try learn 'Hiragana' but im strugling with somthing

kuruma = = car

Ok so i can identify the different parts I think, but where did the word 'kuruma' come from if the Japanese spell it くるま? Is 'kuruma' romaji?

Sorry if this makes no sence, thanks for all the help so far
kuruma is the way you would pronounce the word so that the non-japanese speaker can learn the pronunciation. the colors correspond to the pronunciation of each letter. romaji probably (but don't quote me on this.. and please correct me if i'm wrong! ^^ means "roman letters" = the alphabet. it basically means that instead of writing in japanese letters, you've written the japanese in "english" letters.
く= ku, る= ru, ま= ma
i think generally people who want to learn conversation study using romaji first. if you want to tackle any reading and writing however, don't rely on romaji to carry you very far.
either way, good luck and happy studying!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kasabian (Offline)
New to JF

06-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Ok, thank you.

Let's start an illusion
Re-read the words and start again
Accept the gift of sin
Pleasure is bleeding to smother the words
I've got blood on my hands