JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
RenYamada (Offline)
New to JF

Talking Note taking tips, plz? - 07-22-2007, 04:59 AM

Hey ya... I can't say I'm new here... just.. inactive until today XD...
So sorry if there's something current going on with the same topic
---
So... right now, I'm studying my butt off with my Japanese. But, sometimes I feel like I'm not getting anywhere. So I started a binder for notes. Right now, the sections are JLPT 4 words, notes I take from JapanesePod 101, kanji, verbs, and misc.
And of course, hiragana and katakana charts.
But it feels like I'm totally missing so much (and I know I am)
Any... advice or help you can offer? I'd be eternally grateful!
-- Desie

Last edited by RenYamada : 07-22-2007 at 05:57 AM. Reason: minor typo
(#2 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-24-2007, 06:48 AM

It does not matter how you file them up, as long as you do it, then you are one step closer to your goal.
Resources are everywhere and by the plentiful.
Having all the resources and making use of none, is as good as useless.
Having limited resouces and making full use of them, is totally commendable.
In time to come, the notes that you have collected will double and quad triple and so on. You just have got to be a little more patience and put in more effort to gather the required info that you are seeking. Most important is, it has to be done at the pace that you are comfortable with, otherwise you will get bored and lose interest just as fast.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-24-2007, 08:12 AM

The simple act of writing the notes will help cement those concepts into your head. Keep at it. Evenif you don't look at the notes daily or weekly, just keeping a journal of your process is very useful.

Language learning, especially a language like Japanese for English-speakers, is probably the most challenging thing a mind will do. History, math, science...all these are built on building blocks that we have studied since birth.

When we try to learn a language like Japanese, on the other hand, we have to TOSS OUT all that we know about language structure. English has NOTHING to do with learning Japanese (and vice-versa) so really we have to make our minds like a baby in order to fight the urge to question the logic of these different grammar rules. The rules have been this way since birth! It's like saying "OK, from now on, the sky isn't blue. It is red." Your mind keeps saying "It is blue! It is blue!" But in this new reality of Japanese language study, it isn't.

It is a marathon, jogged. Not a sprint to the finish. Take your time and learn at your pace.