LinkBack Thread Tools
(#131 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

03-23-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Really? Never heard or seen the phrase until today. And I am a Japanese-speaker.

How is the でょ part even pronounced?
I think they were trying to type でよね. But I could be wrong.

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."
(#132 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Kuroneko, I'm sure you meant to type だよね.

This reminds me of East End × Yuri's song, Da Yo Ne. It was from one of only two Japanese albums I heard growing up (the other being an album by Speed).

懐かしい〜

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 03-23-2011 at 07:06 PM.
(#133 (permalink))
Old
Darnellrbts (Offline)
JF Regular

03-30-2011, 11:39 AM

I found the riht thread to put my questions in now lol. I was wondering if I wanted to ask, what language do you speak? Would it be -go nan desu ka??
Or if I wanted to ask do you speak japanese. Could it be this nihongo nan desu ka?? Sorry but I would have typed the characters, I'm just in a hurry and this question popped in my head while I was Practicing.

Planning on saving y leave to take a trip to japan !! ( Researching right now though)
(#134 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-30-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnellrbts View Post
I found the riht thread to put my questions in now lol. I was wondering if I wanted to ask, what language do you speak? Would it be -go nan desu ka??
Or if I wanted to ask do you speak japanese. Could it be this nihongo nan desu ka?? Sorry but I would have typed the characters, I'm just in a hurry and this question popped in my head while I was Practicing.
No. Your sentence is basically "What is Japanese?" And your proposed "-go nan desu ka" is "What is [~ language]?"

There is something called the "potential" form. It means "to be able to ~." There are two ways of forming it that are functionally equivalent in the same way "I can ~" and "I am able to ~" mean 100% the exact same thing.

THE FIRST is to change the stem of the verb you can do itself. As you probably know, there are three classes of verbs (beginners know them as "える/いる" "する/くる irregular" and "everything else").

For える/いる verbs, you drop the "る" at the end and add "られる." Then you conjugate accordingly for politeness (ます) tense (ました) or whatever.
Example: たべる (to eat) -> たべられる (can eat)

For irregulars, you memorize: する (to do)->できる, くる (to come)->こられる.

For the rest, you drop the "u" and add "eru." So "はなす" (to speak) -> "はなせる" (can speak).

THE SECOND is to add "ことができる" to the verb and then conjugate "できる" accordingly (できます, できた, できました, etc.).

So for any verb (except する—to do—since it already becomes "できる" as per THE FIRST above), you have, for example: たべる -> たべることができる. Pretty much literally it translates to "to be able to do the action 'to eat.'"

---

Now then, to your question:
"Do you speak __language__?"
You're merely asking if a person can speak the language (you'll find you need to stop trying to literally translate things and think about the context and purpose of the phrase instead).

So then

"to speak" = はなす
"to be able to speak" = はなせる OR はなすことができる

Normally, you'd have "にほんごをはなす" but "を" becomes "が" before potential verbs (and in clauses "が" often becomes "の"), so:

にほんごがはなせますか。
にほんごのはなすことができますか。

Either is fine, although I believe the second sounds a bit more high-level as it is more wordy and often times wordiness makes things "softer" in Japanese (as it does in English, too).
(#135 (permalink))
Old
Darnellrbts (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2011, 02:52 PM

I wanna try and introduce myself in Japanese. Hope this is right .
はじめまして、わたしはロバートです。にしゅういちさ いです。わたしはアメリカじんです。わたしはたいてい ほんをよみます。どうぞよろしく。

Planning on saving y leave to take a trip to japan !! ( Researching right now though)
(#136 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
にしゅういちさい
にじゅういっさい

Also, cut it out with all the わたしs. You just don't use them that often. Just cut out every わたしは and it will be a million times better.
(#137 (permalink))
Old
Darnellrbts (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
にじゅういっさい

Also, cut it out with all the わたしs. You just don't use them that often. Just cut out every わたしは and it will be a million times better.
Ok about 20 I was going to use はたち, but I wasn't sure if I can can put it as はたちいっさい。

(#138 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-26-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Ok about 20 I was going to use はたち, but I wasn't sure if I can can put it as はたちいっさい。
You don't need さい(才/歳) with はたち(二十歳) because the ち IS さい.
(#139 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-26-2011, 04:22 PM

はたち means "20 years old." If you tried はたちいっさい you'd be saying "20 years old one year old."
(#140 (permalink))
Old
Darnellrbts (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Thx u both I understand now