JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shinjitsu (Offline)
New to JF

Particles Help - 08-23-2007, 08:12 AM

ohayou minna san (at least where i live)

i am currently trying to improve my knowledge in japanese language by watching and translating some anime. i do have experience with written japanese, thus it is not that much of a problem with exception of some particles which i havent encountered so far in written language. i would appreciate some help with translating the following particles - i can guess what they mean but some exact information would be great:

no: seems to be used as a particle for questioning?
ze: absolutely no clue, sry always at the end of a sentence
na: same as ne?
teba / tteba (?): kind of emphasizing?

Thanks for any help

P.S.: sry, my english is kind of weak^^

Last edited by shinjitsu : 08-23-2007 at 11:46 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nattybumppo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinjitsu View Post
ohayou minna san (at least where i live)

i am currently trying to improve my knowledge in japanese language by watching and translating some anime. i do have experience with written japanese, thus it is not that much of a problem with exception of some particles which i havent encountered so far in written language. i would appreciate some help with translating the following particles - i can guess what they mean but some exact information would be great:

no: seems to be used as a particle for questioning?
ze: absolutely no clue, sry always at the end of a sentence
na: same as ne?
teba / tteba (?): kind of emphasizing?

Thanks for any help

P.S.: sry, my english is kind of weak^^
I'm going to use actual Japanese kana in my reply, as you said that you have experience with written Japanese.

の is used as a question particle in plain form (similar to か). It is also used as a declarative emphatic particle in the speech of females.

「ねてるの?」 = "Are you asleep?"
「ねこ、すきなの!」 = "I like cats!"

ぜ is a rough emphatic particle, usually used by guys. You can think of it like a stronger, slightly more vulgar よ.

「オレはぜったいかつぜ!」 = "I'm definitely gonna win!"

な is very similar to ね, but a little rougher (hence more common in the speech of men). It can also follow the dictionary form of a verb to become a rough negative command.

「エミーちゃんはうれしそうだな」 = "Amy seems happy, doesn't she?"
「そのほんをよむな!」 = "Don't read that book!"

ってば is an ending that can go onto someone's name, similar to さん or くん, that achieves a scolding tone, like you're chiding them for something bad they've done.

「クロノったら!いつまでねてるの?いいかげんおきな さい!」 = "Crono [scolding tone]! How much longer are you going to sleep? Wake up, you lazy butt!"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-24-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybumppo View Post
ってば is an ending that can go onto someone's name, similar to さん or くん, that achieves a scolding tone, like you're chiding them for something bad they've done.
Whoa... Your other explanations were sort of alright, but this one is totally off the mark.

ってば has absolutely nothing to do with names. It`s just adding emphasis.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2007, 08:34 AM

Nice explanation!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
shinjitsu (Offline)
New to JF

08-24-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
の is used as a question particle in plain form (similar to か). It is also used as a declarative emphatic particle in the speech of females.

「ねてるの?」 = "Are you asleep?"
「ねこ、すきなの!」 = "I like cats!"
this leads me to another question. i have very often seen something like "verbて-form+る" like in "ねてるの". it seems to be a shortened version of "Vて+いる" in spoken japanese, at least the meaning seems to be similar. am i right?

Quote:
「クロノったら!いつまでねてるの?いいかげんおきな さい!」 = "Crono [scolding tone]! How much longer are you going to sleep? Wake up, you lazy butt!"
this reminds me of the beginning of chrono trigger. i play sometimes the jap. version for practicing^^

anyway thanks, you helped me a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Whoa... Your other explanations were sort of alright, but this one is totally off the mark.

Thanks for adding this. i am not sure but i have something in mind that ってば isnt used for names only...cant say for sure.

Last edited by shinjitsu : 08-24-2007 at 08:41 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nattybumppo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

Yeah, you're entirely right! I had some sort of brainfart and was entirely thinking of ったら. (If you look at the quote I used to demonstrate it you can see this too.) D'oh!

Thanks for catching that though. You're right about ってば.

Quote:
this leads me to another question. i have very often seen something like "verbて-form+る" like in "ねてるの". it seems to be a shortened version of "Vて+いる" in spoken japanese, at least the meaning seems to be similar. am i right?
Yep, you're right. It's a shortened form of ている. If a の follows it, it might contract again; ねているの → ねてるの → ねてんの
(#7 (permalink))
Old
shinjitsu (Offline)
New to JF

08-24-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yep, you're right. It's a shortened form of ている. If a の follows it, it might contract again; ねているの → ねてるの → ねてんの
Thanks again. ねてんの sounds kinda strange or unfimiliar...perhaps a typo? ねてなの would sound better but i dont know...never seen something like that.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nattybumppo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks again. ねてんの sounds kinda strange or unfimiliar...perhaps a typo? ねてなの would sound better but i dont know...never seen something like that.
Nope, it's not a typo at all. Trust me, or better yet, trust Google.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
shinjitsu (Offline)
New to JF

08-24-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Nope, it's not a typo at all. Trust me, or better yet, trust Google.
i didnt mean to offend you.since i have never seen a form like that i just wanted to make sure. i will keep this form in mind
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-24-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, you're entirely right! I had some sort of brainfart and was entirely thinking of ったら. (If you look at the quote I used to demonstrate it you can see this too.) D'oh!

Thanks for catching that though. You're right about ってば.
No problem. I thought maybe that was what had happened. I sort of skimmed through your explanation thinking "Okay, that`s right, they know what they`re talking about." and then hit that one.
Glad it`s been straightened out.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.