JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Xuande (Offline)
JF Regular

Genki textbooks - 08-24-2007, 10:10 PM

I'm using the Genki 1: An integrated course in elementary japanese right now and I was wondering if anybody else here has used it and whether or not I should get the workbook and audio cds that come with it. I seem to be doing ok so far even though I'm only at chapter 3 but I don't know exactly how well I'd do in an actual conversation which is why I was wondering if it would be well worth it to get the cds and workbook that go with the textbook.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-25-2007, 01:51 AM

Unless you have access to other ways to listen to Japanese, I would get the CDs.

I think workbooks are helpful, too, so you canguage your progress...but I do know that they can get expensive.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-25-2007, 03:38 AM

I used the Genki textbooks a few years back, and I really liked them. I never used the CDs, but I did use the workbook. I would recommend getting the workbooks. It'll be harder to do the worksheets since you don't have a teacher (the book is meant to be used with a class), but they're certainly doable as long as you pay attention and study hard with the book.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Xuande (Offline)
JF Regular

08-25-2007, 10:49 PM

Yeah I wish I had a teacher or someone to help me out with this book but I think I'll manage on my own somehow. I actually found a pretty good deal on the cds for the first and second book and I also found the second book used for pretty cheap so I'm probably gonna get them soon. The workbooks are still kind of costly but not nearly as much as the cds so I'll probably get the first workbook to go along with the cds when I get them.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
CaptainJackSparrowsGirl (Offline)
New to JF

Yes - 08-26-2007, 03:06 AM

Definitely, get the workbook and the audio cds. They are detrimental in learning. They teach you to listen to the fastpace of speaking so speaking with japanese people will be easier.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-26-2007, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJackSparrowsGirl View Post
They are detrimental in learning.

そうですね・・・
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nattybumppo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-26-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
They are detrimental in learning.
Yeah, I don't understand what you mean here.

det·ri·men·tal (dět'rə-měn'tl)
adj. Causing damage or harm; injurious.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
irrah (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to irrah
Get the cd's! [元気---教科書] - 08-27-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande View Post
I'm using the Genki 1: An integrated course in elementary japanese right now and I was wondering if anybody else here has used it and whether or not I should get the workbook and audio cds that come with it. I seem to be doing ok so far even though I'm only at chapter 3 but I don't know exactly how well I'd do in an actual conversation which is why I was wondering if it would be well worth it to get the cds and workbook that go with the textbook.

Oi!
Congrats on your purchase, actually..Genki txt books are great. I'm using Genki 2 at this time, chap. 13. And believe me, you'll need the audio if you don't have anyone to help you make sure you are doing it right.
Workbook is a must..but this is only if you take it seriously. Or, maybe you learn fast..in that case, nah.
I think the textbook might be enough though, but I just like to be on top of everything myself.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
irrah (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to irrah
hmm.. - 08-27-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Definitely, get the workbook and the audio cds. They are detrimental in learning. They teach you to listen to the fastpace of speaking so speaking with japanese people will be easier.

You have a point here...
I know,the first time I tried to have an actual conversation with a japanese friend became a mess. I couldn't catch everything that she was saying, felt kinda stupid. Besides, she was using her dialect gr. But hey, got to start somewhere, and I'm happy with as much as I can get in my head.
Don't know if I'll ever be fluent though..this is my 4th language. And the older I get, the harder it is.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
pandayanyan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to pandayanyan Send a message via MSN to pandayanyan
08-27-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande View Post
I have used this series our college used them for japanese 1 2 and 3 and i would say the cds are important but the workbooks are optional. the book give syou enough work to do that you COuld learn it all from there if you need the xtra practice and cant write out your own questoins and answers then go with the workbook. Also the cd is vital. I went through it thinking im doing good and when I took the class totally bombed b/c conversation and reading Japanese are almost completelyt different you hear a word in your head and hear it when somone says it in a sentence quick with otherwords in there completely different. I would suggest starting with the book and then when you feel comfoprtable that you know enough vocabulary try to pik out word s you know in the cd or in video games or japanese movies from what they are saying. That is what I did and it helped allot. There really is no quick solution to learingin a new language... everything about it is foriegn...