JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Powermad147 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Hebrew and Japanese - 09-12-2007, 03:08 AM

I have to say, I'm very worried about never learning Japanese. Japan is, of course, as a loyal anie nerd, my dream home. But I've been taking Hebrew lessons for years as part of my basic education and have learned so little in the 12 years of it, I'm scared the same thing will apply to Japanese. Also, I'm worried about when I would have time to learn...College I suppose. What I want to know is, if I were to spend time in Japan, would I pick up the language gradually as many people do with Hebrew in Israel?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
pandayanyan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to pandayanyan Send a message via MSN to pandayanyan
09-12-2007, 03:15 AM

I think if you live in any country for a time you are almost forced to learn the language. I went to mexico with bits and pieces of what I had picked up from spanish class and I felt very insecure tlaking with people but after a week or so i knew enough to get by please and thank you. How much and thank kind of thing. Plus it never hurt me to ask. It seems people enjoy having fun teaching you their language.
But I would still pick up as much as you can from some sort of study on your own because it will make life mounds easier in the long run. Think of it like if you could talk in english but couldnt read or write .. there will be a point where your street language (what you learn from tlaking with people) will not be enough.

ANYONE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Powermad147 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-12-2007, 03:19 AM

YOUR WRONG!!! Nah, kidding. Reading and writing...argh...three alphabets! Now that will kill me in the long run. Maybe I could just ignore Kanji -_-
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

09-12-2007, 03:53 AM

You will pick up how to speak Japanese while living there for awhile. However, you won't be able to learn how to READ or WRITE Japanese unless you take classes. So you'll be more or less illiterate unless you take classes beforehand (or you can take them in Japan). Also, do visit Japan before making the life-changing decision of moving there. Being an anime fan isn't exactly a justification to move to Japan, and many people often find that daily life in Japan isn't quite as they expected once they're here.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Powermad147 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-12-2007, 04:04 AM

I don't worry, I don't expect to move there...Visit, certainly, but not live. And I know it would be no bed of roses either. Oh, funny story about moving to japan, My friends cousin lives there, and on his first week in Japan, he was invited to a drink by a Yakuza The guys only comment to him was "No no, don't worry...Your American, I like americans, so I won't hurt you." I always find that funny.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
pandayanyan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to pandayanyan Send a message via MSN to pandayanyan
09-12-2007, 06:55 AM

Ha ha that is funny. That would scare me (even if he did promise to be nice) but what do you do? Do you refuse a Yakuza? Or do you go with him? lol crazy!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
DarkLight (Offline)
New to JF

09-12-2007, 11:03 AM

hey.. I am from Israel... I can help you with Hebrew if you want;]
why do you need to learn it anyway? it is preety unnessesery language..
>_> PM me anytime...
and I want to learn Japanese too..
I started to learn on the net but i stops after few lessons....
it was too hard to me -_-"..

x3 DarkLight .
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
09-13-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermad147 View Post
I don't worry, I don't expect to move there...Visit, certainly, but not live. And I know it would be no bed of roses either. Oh, funny story about moving to japan, My friends cousin lives there, and on his first week in Japan, he was invited to a drink by a Yakuza The guys only comment to him was "No no, don't worry...Your American, I like americans, so I won't hurt you." I always find that funny.
Thats funny. I remember watchign something about black trucks or something going around Toukyou preaching japanese purity. Something about how the Yakuza was involved.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
LearnAmazingJapanese (Offline)
New to JF

Advice - 09-14-2007, 02:09 PM

My advice is always the same for new Japanese learners.

Ignore reading and writing, lean heavily on roomaji (English letters to represent Japanese sounds) at first, and concentrate on building your spoken vocabulary.

Learning to read and write after you have a fairly good grasp of the spoken language is better, IMHO.

Want to know a dirty secret?

A few of the most fluent and famous "foreign" tarento/ TV personalities in Japan can barely read and write Japanese.

If they can function at that high of a level in Japan w/out reading or writing, then you can, too.

Sore ja.