JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
WhiteDay (Offline)
New to JF

oosaka wa tabemono ga oishiidesu - 01-18-2017, 02:17 PM

おおさか べもの が おいしいです. (oosaka wa tabemono ga oishiidesu) - To me it means: "Foods in Osaka are good."

I wanna know if I can say it like this instead and that they have the same meaning:

おおさか おいしい食べもの があります. (oosaka ni oishiitabemono ga asimasu) - To me this means: "There's good food in Osaka."

And to me, they are just slightly different in word order but both give the same meaning. Or do they have just that slight difference in meaning like in English (if I translated them right) and so they're not the same?

Thank you so much.

The blood in my veins is made up of mistakes.

Last edited by WhiteDay : 01-18-2017 at 02:20 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-18-2017, 02:30 PM

I would probably say "Osaka no ryori wa oishi desu", or "ga suki desu" if I am saying that I like it.

Either of the sentences you used will work, though I hear the word "ryori" in such conversation more than I hear the word "tabemono".

A native speaker can probably tell you more in detail, maybe Radiokid or someone else can chime in.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WhiteDay (Offline)
New to JF

01-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I would probably say "Osaka no ryori wa oishi desu", or "ga suki desu" if I am saying that I like it.

Either of the sentences you used will work, though I hear the word "ryori" in such conversation more than I hear the word "tabemono".

A native speaker can probably tell you more in detail, maybe Radiokid or someone else can chime in.
Thank you Sangetsu. The first sentence (Oosaka wa tabemono ga oishiidesu) is from the book Minna no nihongo 2, and the second one is my made-up sentence that I wanna know if I can alternatively say it like that. Your version is better and simpler though.

P.S. For "tabemono" and "ryori" I think it's like when you say "kuruma" instead of "jidousha" (cars.) I feel like tabemono is a bit more informal and it's more likely that children say it than ryori(?) Just in my opinion.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
01-19-2017, 02:31 PM

In Western language, the relation between subject and object is very tight. Every expression is based on "SUBJECT DO OBJECT" style.

In Japanese, things are described in various relation without the SUBJECT-OBJECT style.

In such western concept, two examples have different form and should have different meaning. In Japanese concept, the both means "when I visited Osaka, I could have nice meal" or "To have nice meal, I should visit Osaka".

>おおさか おいしい食べもの があります. (oosaka ni oishiitabemono ga asimasu) - To me this means: "There's good food in Osaka."

Here, "に:NI" would be used because it implies "when I visit" feeling.

Sorry for my personal opinion.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
WhiteDay (Offline)
New to JF

01-23-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
In Western language, the relation between subject and object is very tight. Every expression is based on "SUBJECT DO OBJECT" style.

In Japanese, things are described in various relation without the SUBJECT-OBJECT style.

In such western concept, two examples have different form and should have different meaning. In Japanese concept, the both means "when I visited Osaka, I could have nice meal" or "To have nice meal, I should visit Osaka".

>おおさか おいしい食べもの があります. (oosaka ni oishiitabemono ga asimasu) - To me this means: "There's good food in Osaka."

Here, "に:NI" would be used because it implies "when I visit" feeling.

Sorry for my personal opinion.
Thank you very much RadioKid. So does [ おおさか おいしい食べもの があります. ] sound natural to you? And in conclusion, both sentences have quite the same indication but the second one might imply more of "when I visit" feeling, right?

(#6 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
01-24-2017, 02:59 PM

When someone says "おおさか に おいしい食べもの があります:OSAKA NI OISHII TABEMONO GA ARIMASU;there are good foods in Osaka", I expect he will introduce some concrete example of his "good foods". It means this japanese sentence is lacking something.

"おおさか に たこやき という おいしい食べもの があります:OSAKA NI TAKOYAKI TO-IU OISHII TABEMONO GA ARIMASU;there are good foods called 'TAKOYAKI' in Osaka" is complete form.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
WhiteDay (Offline)
New to JF

01-26-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
When someone says "おおさか に おいしい食べもの があります:OSAKA NI OISHII TABEMONO GA ARIMASU;there are good foods in Osaka", I expect he will introduce some concrete example of his "good foods". It means this japanese sentence is lacking something.

"おおさか に たこやき という おいしい食べもの があります:OSAKA NI TAKOYAKI TO-IU OISHII TABEMONO GA ARIMASU;there are good foods called 'TAKOYAKI' in Osaka" is complete form.
Got it. Thank you so much!