JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
FCB5RM0neverforget (Offline)
New to JF

Question Questions about family members vocab - 04-07-2017, 05:08 PM

Hi guys, I'm learning about family vocabulary right now and I have a few areas where I'm not so sure on. I know most of the time you'd refer to a lot of these by their names but I just want to be clear on what their titles are.

I just want to know if my understanding is all correct. Are the following statements correct?

1. When you talk to your granddaughter/grandson, you say, "omagomusumesan"/"omagosan" respectively.

2. When you talk about your granddaughter/grandson to someone else, you say, "magomusume"/"mago" respectively.

3. When you talk to your great-grandmother/great-grandfather, you say, "hiiobaasan"/"hiiojiisan" respectively.

4. When you talk about your great-grandmother/great-grandfather to someone else, you say, "soosobo"/"hiijiji" respectively.

5. When you talk to your great-aunt/great-uncle, you say, "idaina-obasan"/"ooojisan" respectively.

6. When you talk about your great-aunt/great uncle to someone else, you say, "idaina-oba"/"oooji" respectively.

7. When you talk to your great-niece/great-nephew, you say, "idaina-meisan"/"idaina-oisan" respectively.

8. When you are good friends with a married couple, you can refer to the husband as, "danasan".

9. When you talk to your mother-in-law/father-in-law, you say, "shuutomesan"/"shuutosan" respectively. [Or is it giri no okaasan/otousan?]

10. When you talk about your grandparents as a single noun to someone else, you say, "sofubo".

11. When you talk to your grandparents, is there a single noun? As in, if "go ryoushin" is for parents, what is it for grandparents?

12. What is the correct use for the word "oya" (parent)? Something like, "watashi wa oya desu"?

13. When you talk to your step-mother/step-father, you say, "mama-okaasan"/"mama-otousan" respectively (or just drop the "mama"?).

14. When you talk about your step-mother/step-father to someone else, you say, "mama-haha"/"mama-chichi" respectively.

Last edited by FCB5RM0neverforget : 04-07-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Fixed up wording & added more questions
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
04-09-2017, 02:12 PM

As no other Japanese replies, I will answer your questions. Though I believe most of Japanese would agree with me, there can be some Japanese denys me.

a) In General, no Japanese will use "MAGO-MUSUME" in verbal(not written) communication. Even if the grandson/daughter is over thirty, the gender would not be in question.
b) One will not call one's younger relatives with "-SAN" unless the relative is "in law".
c) Japanese will never use "IDAINA:great" to call relatives.

How do you learn these examples ? There are too much misunderstandings for me to correct.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

04-09-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
As no other Japanese replies, I will answer your questions. Though I believe most of Japanese would agree with me, there can be some Japanese denys me.

a) In General, no Japanese will use "MAGO-MUSUME" in verbal(not written) communication. Even if the grandson/daughter is over thirty, the gender would not be in question.
b) One will not call one's younger relatives with "-SAN" unless the relative is "in law".
c) Japanese will never use "IDAINA:great" to call relatives.

How do you learn these examples ? There are too much misunderstandings for me to correct.
I understand, thank you. It doesn't surprise me, I was hesitant about these words. I found them through typing single words on Google Translate and using my phone's translator app. I guess I won't be relying on translators from now on lol.

a) What is the correct way for a grandparent to address their grandchild?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
04-10-2017, 02:54 PM

When elder people call younger relatives, they use individual names (often with -CHAN for under ten or KUN(boy)/SAN(girl) over ten) instead of relative relations.

On the other hand, younger relative call elder relatives by relative relations like as "OJIICHAN:grand father" or "OBAACHAN:grand mother". "-CHAN" is usually used by children but a person become small children in front of their elder relatives.

Younger relatives never call elder relatives by name.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.

Last edited by RadioKid : 04-10-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added CHAN/KUN/SAN
(#5 (permalink))
Old
New to JF

04-12-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
When elder people call younger relatives, they use individual names (often with -CHAN for under ten or KUN(boy)/SAN(girl) over ten) instead of relative relations.

On the other hand, younger relative call elder relatives by relative relations like as "OJIICHAN:grand father" or "OBAACHAN:grand mother". "-CHAN" is usually used by children but a person become small children in front of their elder relatives.

Younger relatives never call elder relatives by name.
ありがとうございました.