JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
tomte (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to tomte
11-18-2007, 04:49 PM

I think people should look up at least the hiragana and katakana letters on their own, but kanji is almost impossible to find as long as you dont wanna spend days trying to find the right one
(#42 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomte View Post
I think people should look up at least the hiragana and katakana letters on their own, but kanji is almost impossible to find as long as you dont wanna spend days trying to find the right one
There are online resources and dictionaries...I have never spent more than a few minutes looking up a kanji.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-19-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomte View Post
Hint; Copy the kanji. Paste it into the Google search box. Hit enter.

I just tested this with about 5 random kanji. There was always a hit for some dictionary on the first page of results... So if you find it "impossible" to find the meaning, I have to wonder how you managed to find this forum.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Shinyo (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There are so many posts asking for "translation to romaji" and I am kind of wondering all your feelings on this.

I basically come here to lend a hand to legit people who are trying to learn Japanese, and understand we have all levels of learners, more beginners than advanced, but that is OK.

But I am started to feel aprehensive about translating or helping into romaji. Something about it seems...well, unhelpful. Japanese people don't use romaji to write Japanese (except in commercials, shop signs, etc.) so I am questioning if it is a good idea here...and that's why I am soliciting your opinions.

ローマジで教えてもいいですかね、それか、ちゃんとひ らがな(プラス漢字)でした方が助かるんですかね。

よろしく。
I agree with you. In my opinion, romaji should only ever be used to learn the corresponding sounds for the hiragana. Practice is key, so people need to get themselves a hiragana chart - available at their fingertips with a quick google search - and do it themselves.

-----
As for what someone said a few posts ago about kanji - the answer is simple. I've been learning Japanese for some time and have spent a fair amount of time gathering resources. I very often use these two websites:

Kanji Dictionary - if you scroll to the bottom there is a search feature.

Japanese <-> English Dictionary - I have it set up with that link so that it accepts Japanese input (JIS) and will search only common words.

With these two sites you will never have trouble finding a word or kanji meaning -- assuming you understand a reasonable amount of Japanese grammar.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
stupidjerk36 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to stupidjerk36 Send a message via Yahoo to stupidjerk36
Smile 漢字が難しい - 11-24-2007, 11:22 AM

I'm half Japanese but I grew up in another country that's why I don't know Japanese. but I'm currently learning it. I finished studying Hiragana and Katakana. I can speak some sentences in Japanese but I'm not yet fluent with the language. I can read some of the kanji posted here.
And my opinion about this topic is:
I think some people only want the romaji for the kanji or hiragana because they just want to show off or they just need some few quick words. mostly like ばか and stuffs like that.
I also saw other people on a website pretending that he know Japanese but he actually translated it on Google translator.
It's easy to learn Japanese in romaji if you don't know the Hiragana yet. but I suggest that you should learn them because it's part of the language.

Friends are like STARS. They come and go but the ones that STAY are the ones that GLOW.