LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-21-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurasaki214 View Post
haha . i guess so. the site I've been learning from explains all of that kind of stuff. which i think genki wont so i'm trying to get stuff from everywhere.

its: Japanese Verbs - Introduction and Table of Contents
I just finished the whole GENKI series about half an hour ago. I'm going to work on my conversational skills now. I already have Rosetta Stone, so I'll use that. I remember when I first used it, I didn't understand a thing that it was saying. But, now it's really easy. I went to the last unit of the Japanese I disc, and it was stuff that I had covered a long time ago. I'm still going to start from the beginning, though. I really just suck at recognizing words in spoken Japanese.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#22 (permalink))
Old
kurasaki214 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to kurasaki214 Send a message via MSN to kurasaki214 Send a message via Yahoo to kurasaki214 Send a message via Skype™ to kurasaki214
11-22-2007, 02:09 AM

wow, u finished the genki series and now ur doing rosette stone.very nice.

um, do you have an aim s/n or just an email, cuz when I get the book do you mean maybe doing some conversational stuff with me cuz none of my friends are learning japanese and im obviously not in a classroom.

東京本当に行きたい

あの猫はりんごを食べたところ
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-22-2007, 04:32 AM

Yes.
I'll PM it to you.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Kai13 (Offline)
あゆ

Send a message via Skype™ to Kai13
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM

I know this is kinda late, but I didn't wanted to start a new thread fot that matter.

I started using Genki like 1 week ago (I already knew almost everything about the first 2 chapters, less some vocabulary), I'm on chapter 3 (started yesterday), thing is, now that kanji are used I don't really know hot to study, should I study kanji alongside with grammar? Problem is that kanji that appear in the book's final pages are not in the order they appear in the lessons, which is kinda sucky to look for them.

I'm aiming to study everyday, when I have nothing to do, since my classes end everyday at 1.25PM, I think that I'll have quite some time to study.

自分のブログ!
見てみてください。
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-31-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai13 View Post
I know this is kinda late, but I didn't wanted to start a new thread fot that matter.

I started using Genki like 1 week ago (I already knew almost everything about the first 2 chapters, less some vocabulary), I'm on chapter 3 (started yesterday), thing is, now that kanji are used I don't really know hot to study, should I study kanji alongside with grammar? Problem is that kanji that appear in the book's final pages are not in the order they appear in the lessons, which is kinda sucky to look for them.

I'm aiming to study everyday, when I have nothing to do, since my classes end everyday at 1.25PM, I think that I'll have quite some time to study.
I've gone through both GENKI 1 and 2, and I really dislike how they teach kanji in the back of the books. I recommend getting a kanji dictionary on the side and just go through it once a day UNLESS you're being tested on the kanji from the book, then yes, do use the textbook. On the side studying won't hurt, though.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-31-2008, 07:03 PM

Genki is excellent for a class/group environment I find. For self study I suppose you could use Genki as the grammar builds on top of each other but as others have pointed out it's limitations in that regard, then perhaps you should search around yourself before you buy.

Anyway it's the prescribed textbook series at my University. The book I'm using next year will be the "Intermediate Japanese" version of Genki made by the same people.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-31-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
I've gone through both GENKI 1 and 2, and I really dislike how they teach kanji in the back of the books. I recommend getting a kanji dictionary on the side and just go through it once a day UNLESS you're being tested on the kanji from the book, then yes, do use the textbook. On the side studying won't hurt, though.
Really? I liked how it was at the back of the book all together. It made making flash cards a hell of a lot easier and the way the various pronunciations are explained... while not practical to memorise when you first begin.... are handy to have when eventually you come accross them. Also the Kanji you're taught compliments the course material so going through a Kanji dictionary on the side once a day seems like a waste of time to me unless you are already proficient in the Kanji taught.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Kai13 (Offline)
あゆ

Send a message via Skype™ to Kai13
01-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks to both of you. I think that after finishing the Genki series, I'll eventually buy a kanji dictionary, thanks for the tip, Harold. Do you recommend any?

I will study the kanji alongside with grammar, it's easier to understand the kanji while I write them in context.

自分のブログ!
見てみてください。