JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kurasaki214 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to kurasaki214 Send a message via MSN to kurasaki214 Send a message via Yahoo to kurasaki214 Send a message via Skype™ to kurasaki214
Genki 1!?!? - 11-18-2007, 01:12 AM

okay, I've been wondering for a while if I should get this book or not, and i've decided that im going to ask for it for christmas, but um, wherever I look online its kinda expensive ( for a book that is ). I mean, I think i found like $39 on some site, but like, i was thinking a lil cheaper.

could neone help find a site that i can buy it from that its alot cheaper on?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
11-18-2007, 02:09 AM

I'm sorry to say this, but, text books aren't cheap. Though I didn't search for a better price for you, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the best you can find. Especially if it comes with the workbook and everything. By the way, I do suggest getting the workbook too if it isn't included... it helps with practicing^_^ Sorry I couldn't help.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kurasaki214 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to kurasaki214 Send a message via MSN to kurasaki214 Send a message via Yahoo to kurasaki214 Send a message via Skype™ to kurasaki214
11-18-2007, 02:40 AM

so then, you used the book? and so i've been told. everyone says either get the cd's and the workbook. and i simply can't afford them. and my price was just the textbook.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

11-18-2007, 02:42 AM

The Genki series are very good, I used both 1 and 2 several years back when I first started learning Japanese. I would highly recommend the workbook if you can get that, as the practice is very helpful. There are audio resources for the Genki books available online, so you don't necessarily NEED the CD.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kurasaki214 (Offline)
New to JF

11-18-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
The Genki series are very good, I used both 1 and 2 several years back when I first started learning Japanese. I would highly recommend the workbook if you can get that, as the practice is very helpful. There are audio resources for the Genki books available online, so you don't necessarily NEED the CD.

oh. really? could you show me the *a* website with some audio stuff?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

11-18-2007, 02:46 AM

Japanese Online - Supporting the audio needs of students of Japanese

Click "Genki" on the left.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kurasaki214 (Offline)
New to JF

11-18-2007, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post

すいごい!どうもありがとうございます!

and um, do you remeber what grammar aspects were taught in genki 1? cuz i dont wanna soudn arrogant abut i already know alot of japanese * for a beginner that is* i know present progressive, past, te-form, negative, etc.. but i guess i just need more kanji and vocab.

and in the workbook.....what kind of *work* is found in there?

東京本当に行きたい

あの猫はりんごを食べたところ
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Start with 1. Better to reinforce things you already know than to miss things you need.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
kurasaki214 (Offline)
New to JF

11-18-2007, 06:38 PM

ah. good point. thanks.

東京本当に行きたい

あの猫はりんごを食べたところ
(#10 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
11-18-2007, 07:18 PM

To be honest, my professor said that Genki isn't a very good series for learning Japanese... I never used Genki 1, but used Genki 2 when I studied abroad in Japan and I guess it was okay, but I could kind of see where my prof was coming from. All the dialogues are kind of silly, especially considering that by the time you really learn Japanese you'll want to be using it for business, not for being an exchange student in high school... But by all means, it *is* a place to start, so go for it. I just wanted to mention that side too.

Oh, and the work book is filling out questions for listening comprehension, reading comprehension, and sentences for learning vocab and grammer. Also in the back is kanji practice.