JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
bzc136 (Offline)
New to JF

Fun Japanese video lessons! - 11-24-2007, 05:50 AM

Hey everyone!

Are you interested in Japanese learning videos?

Well if you are, i make Japanese lessons on YouTube. The videos are fun to watch and will help you in your Japanese studies.

These are the links

My YouTube channel is

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

My first two videos links are

YouTube - Useful Japanese Lesson Part 1: Some fun with Japanese

YouTube - Useful Japanese Lesson Part 2: An insight to colours
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nattybumppo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-24-2007, 07:17 AM

You really need to work on your accent in Japanese. You sound very... Australian. You also mispronounce some words and give some bad grammar in your examples:

For example, you say: 「わたしはしんだとおめているしんせきもいます」

But you should instead say: 「わたししんだとおもっているしんせきもいます」

I really admire your desire to help others with Japanese. I just think it might be good to get a little better at the language before trying to teach it to others.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
bzc136 (Offline)
New to JF

11-24-2007, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the comment. But i have been told by Japanese people that my accent is really good... And also, it can be wa or ga, ga makes it stand out more sort of thing, but thanks anyway! I know i mispronounced the omotte word but in the video description it had thee correct spelling.

Thanks for your comment again

Beau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybumppo View Post
You really need to work on your accent in Japanese. You sound very... Australian. You also mispronounce some words and give some bad grammar in your examples:

For example, you say: 「わたしはしんだとおめているしんせきもいます」

But you should instead say: 「わたししんだとおもっているしんせきもいます」

I really admire your desire to help others with Japanese. I just think it might be good to get a little better at the language before trying to teach it to others.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nattybumppo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-25-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzc136 View Post
And also, it can be wa or ga, ga makes it stand out more sort of thing, but thanks anyway!
It's not about standing out more; it's about subordinate clauses. Your quoted clause (an embedded quote using "to") is, literally translated, "that I have died." This subordinate clause has a subject and a verb; it is very simple. If it was an independent clause, you could choose to use either wa and ga freely, and though they would cast different shades of meaning on your sentence, "watashi wa shinda" and "watashi ga shinda" are both perfectly valid sentences in Japanese.

However, this is a subordinate clause, and subjects in subordinate clauses take "ga" if the subject in the other half of the sentence is different. Like so:

I thought that I was dead.
Watashi wa (jibun ga) shinda to omotte imashita.

They thought that I was dead.
Karera wa watashi ga shinda to omotte imashita.

These are of course only general guidelines, and because no one writes in "perfect" grammar (nor is there linguistically any such thing) you may find cases of your sentence being used. However, "ga" is the better choice from a perspective of wanting to form the most "correct" Japanese, and it is not simply a question of what you'd like to emphasize more.

Short version: wa versus ga is complicated.

Edit: I went on a foreign exchange program with a lot of people trying to learn Japanese, including some people from England (whose accents were at least more similar to yours than American accents), and their accents were mostly worse than yours. So you're doing well for a beginner, definitely. Your vowels (or maybe it's your overall sentence intonation?) still have an Australian twang to them, however; you should open up your mouth more and listen to recordings of yourself speaking to get rid of any traces of twangy dipthongs.

And the opinions of Japanese people about your Japanese ability can never be trusted, unfortunately. I'm not saying your accent is bad, mind you; just that Japanese people will tell you it is very good regardless. This is a sad fact that you will learn as you learn more about the language.

Last edited by Nattybumppo : 11-25-2007 at 12:31 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-25-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the comment. But i have been told by Japanese people that my accent is really good...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattybumppo
You really need to work on your accent in Japanese. You sound very... Australian.
I decided to check out the link to see what this is all about.
You're okay! You're probably enjoying what you're doing. And there are many others like you out there. You're japanese is fine, clear and easily understood.

But still, like Nattybumpo said, you have an accent. You sounded just like a typical foreigner. You can do better by losing that accent of yours.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#6 (permalink))
Old
wezzo (Offline)
New to JF

11-25-2007, 09:40 PM

nice job..can you send me the name of the book that you shown in the video..if its ok
(#7 (permalink))
Old
bzc136 (Offline)
New to JF

11-27-2007, 02:37 AM

I sure can send you the name. But which book are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzo View Post
nice job..can you send me the name of the book that you shown in the video..if its ok
(#8 (permalink))
Old
individualityspikes (Offline)
New to JF

12-01-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I sure can send you the name. But which book are you talking about?
I'd like to know it too. The smaller one you showed in the first vid.

I watched your vids and hope you make more. I no doubt have a bad accent and wouldn't be able to tell one way or another, but you speak it much better than I could hope for at this time. ^_^;