JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

こたちわ - 11-25-2007, 08:32 AM

You know, it took me at least 2 minutes to copy and paste each of those characters from the Character Map. They sure don't make 'em easy to find..

Also, did I write that right? The た is meant to be a "Ni", but I don't remember the symbol for Ni having that cross at the top.... Meh, maybe I just need to study more.

Anyways, the main point of this topic is: Where can I, a person studying Japanese somewhere in the deep, deep wilderness of America, find a Japanese keyboard? Like, purchasable online, or something? Also, is there some sort of program that assigns a Hiragana letter to a key on the keyboard, so I don't have to buy the Japanese keyboard? Thanks. Its really painstaking, copying and pasting to write in Hiragana.

おりがと!!

Learning Japanese one flash card at a time!

Mother: Yuri
Siblings: animedude3, QuoyaNatsume
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SuperMario128 (Offline)
JF Regular

11-25-2007, 09:13 AM

Elecom *Small* USB Keyboard -- White

They have more on that site, too. Hope that helps, I haven't ordered from that site before, but their selection looks amazing.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

11-25-2007, 09:18 AM

For future reference, it's actually こんにちは。

As for Japanese, you don't need a Japanese keyboard to type Japanese (and actually you won't really want one anyway.. unless for novelty purposes). You can type Japanese phonetically using Microsoft's IME, which is built into Windows. You may need to download the Japanese language pack (or install it from a Windows disk). It's much faster than learning the kana layout of a Japanese keyboard.

Pretty decent guide on how to set it up here -> Declan's Guide to Installing and Using Microsoft's Japanese IME - Windows Vista, XP & 2000

がんばってください!

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SuperMario128 (Offline)
JF Regular

11-25-2007, 09:32 AM

I fly a gigantic monster
I am captain evil stomper
I get to wear big black helments
I pilot the Hatredcopter
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

11-25-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario128 View Post
I fly a gigantic monster
I am captain evil stomper
I get to wear big black helments
I pilot the Hatredcopter
!

Best show ever, of course. I think you're the first person on here that knew (or at least pointed out) the reference.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#6 (permalink))
Old
AichiAlex (Offline)
JF Regular

11-25-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
For future reference, it's actually こんにちは。

As for Japanese, you don't need a Japanese keyboard to type Japanese (and actually you won't really want one anyway.. unless for novelty purposes). You can type Japanese phonetically using Microsoft's IME, which is built into Windows. You may need to download the Japanese language pack (or install it from a Windows disk). It's much faster than learning the kana layout of a Japanese keyboard.

Pretty decent guide on how to set it up here -> Declan's Guide to Installing and Using Microsoft's Japanese IME - Windows Vista, XP & 2000

がんばってください!
When I first started learning Japanese, it took me a good two months of using the character map like he did before I figured out this way, thank god that you don't have to learn a new key layout for Japanese, it's so easy this way
(#7 (permalink))
Old
KudoSan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-25-2007, 06:09 PM

Yeah, you can type in Japanese without a Japanese keyboard. I used Greggman.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

11-26-2007, 08:54 AM

Sorry if this is a little off topic: But does anyone have a website or something with a short story or series of paragraphs written in Hiragana? Its quite fun to read these things, even though I don't know what most of the words mean. I've already been through the TUJ introduction letter and most of the Hiragana posts in the Japanese forums here...

Thanks!

Learning Japanese one flash card at a time!

Mother: Yuri
Siblings: animedude3, QuoyaNatsume