JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Movies & TV (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/)
-   -   Looking for Japanese TV streaming on the web (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/12891-looking-japanese-tv-streaming-web.html)

SgtBeavis 02-27-2008 09:15 PM

Looking for Japanese TV streaming on the web

Hi all,

I live in Texas and right now I use Dish Network for our TV. We get TV Japan (NHK) which costs $300 a year for one channel. Well last week Dish Network told me I have to pay another $15 a year if I want to see NFL Network. Ok, now we have a problem......

For those of you that live in Japan, you may or may not be aware that NFL football is the king of sports in the US. It is the only sport I care about. I don't like missing games. I wanted to get DirecTV last year so I could watch EVERY NFL game but I got Dish Network so my lovely wife can watch NHK. Well the changes to their lineup for NFL Network is the last straw. I'm dumping dish and going to DirecTV.

So now I've got to figure out how to keep the wife happy.

Does anyone know where I can find live streams of NHK or any other Japanese TV channel (NNN, MX, TBS, etc) If my wife can watch these channels on her computer then she'll be happy and I can watch the Saints in High Def...

Many thanks in advance..

MMM 02-27-2008 09:18 PM

I don't know about live streams, but there are tons of shows on YouTube.

Odin 02-28-2008 03:38 AM

Good and bad news!

:) Japan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs is running a test project called KeyHoleTV. It carries many of Japanese broadcast stations.

:confused: Except NHK. NHK does not stream any of their video services online. They only stream the radio stations.

You can get the KeyHoleViewer program at the following site:

http://www.v2p.jp/video/ <-- click here

It is a test project and some stations are only on for part of the day and change lineups often. However you do get channels like TBS, TV Tokyo, TV Asahi, and Fuji TV.

Not the best quality video but better than nothing.

:( In North America your only choices for NHK are DISH, AT&T U-Verse, or setup a C-band satellite system.

:mad: P.S. NFL Networks has raised thier surcharge rates so all satellite and cable operators are have to charge more. (insert curse word here!)

eldruin 02-28-2008 03:48 AM

見えるよ!!
I've installed the viewer and it works! I can watch japanese TV!!
Thank you very much Odin!!

Lucyenn 02-28-2008 06:17 AM

just write in google: japanese tv

SgtBeavis 02-28-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odin (Post 413587)

:mad: P.S. NFL Networks has raised thier surcharge rates so all satellite and cable operators are have to charge more. (insert curse word here!)

No, they didn't. I spoke with a Dish Rep and he told me the same thing. However its a lie.

In fact, the NFL just filed suit against Dish Network for doing this. Dish Network's press release on the matter explicitly stated that they were moving NFL Network to their Top 200 package because the NFL decided to air the Giants/Patriots game on NBC and CBS as well as the NFL Network. That move cut into their revenue.

Oh, and thank you very much for that link. Their viewer doesn't work on my Mac, but I'm going to give it a shot on my WinXP virtual machine....

Odin 02-29-2008 01:02 AM

FYI: DirecTV has announced a 4% price hike on subscription. They cite the cause is the rates of "NFL Networks" and "Big Ten Networks".

For most customers this equates to $36.00 USD to $60 USD per year.

You have been warned!

freedomraga 05-10-2010 08:27 AM

this thread is old but i have some questions for you guys...

i`ve already installed a couple of stream-tv programs hoping for watching japanese tv: keyhole tv, JLC's Internet tv and so on. But, none of them have Okinawa TV channel.
Does anybody knows how to watch stream Okinawa TV?

JohnBraden 09-09-2010 04:41 PM

Jibtv.com

jibtv.com : Japan Live TV - NHK English News, Business News, Travel, entertainment & more

This channel shows NHK programming in English. I don't know if it is an exact duplicate of what they show in Japan, but it works for me! It has the programs I like, such as "Journeys in Japan", "Tokyo Eye", "Cool Japan" and "Begin Japanology"

They do repeat blocks of the programming during the entire day, but at least it's something... and it's free!!!

RTyokohama 10-15-2010 10:07 AM

KeyHoleTV
low quality but live