JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
rpheckenkamp (Offline)
New to JF

Beat Takashi's Zatoichi - 04-22-2008, 07:38 PM

I saw the 2003 remake of Zatoichi a few weeks ago. Recently, I was reading some things about Japanese film makers and it mentioned that alot of people consider "Zatoichi" Takashi Kitano's masterpiece. I didn't really like that film.

I've seen countless Japanese films, including the first 5 or so Zatoichi films. I found Kitano's 2003 remake pretty average. It didn't really add anything to the Zatoichi stories, and in fact, I couldn't tell you the difference in the stories between the 2003 remake and the 5 I've seen. Also, I found those tap dancing/"Stomp"-style scenes to be probably the corniest thing I've ever seen. I didn't even watch the film to the credits because it ended on a giant tap dancing scene. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing choreographed dancing scenes in film, but it was god awful.

Do any of you have any opinions? Why is this a great, award-winning film? I don't get it.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-22-2008, 08:09 PM

I have never heard anyone call Zatoichi Kitano's masterpiece. It was probably his most commercially successful film in Japan, but I hear people talk about Hanabi as Kitano's masterpiece much more often.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Crani (Offline)
Sillyassauros

Send a message via MSN to Crani
04-22-2008, 08:33 PM

I saw the movie recently, and I was hopping it would be good, because it's a Takeshi movie, and i was kind of disappointed, it wasn't as good as i wished, watchable, but not good. I though is neighbor was kind of funny. Takeshi's career needs another "Brother".
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

04-22-2008, 08:34 PM

I've seen every movie Kitano has directed - I, too, found Zatoichi to be rather average. Hanabi is definitely the best (in my opinion), although I found Kikujiro oddly charming as well (not as many people liked that one - maybe because its not a gangster movie ).

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#5 (permalink))
Old
rpheckenkamp (Offline)
New to JF

04-22-2008, 09:47 PM

Okay, cool. I was just making sure I wasn't the only one.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

04-22-2008, 10:04 PM

I don't consider it a "masterpiece", but it was a decent movie.

"Corny"? There's a lot of other things in Japanese Entertainment that could be considered "corny" -- is rhythmical tapping really that bad? You put quite an emphasis on that. I honestly didn't mind it that much.

Anyway, to respond directly to your question: I also don't understand why it's seen as an extraordinary film. No, you're not the only one.

Though, I could see why somone might rank it in their favorites; It's definitely not a bad movie.