JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

Long Live The Video Cassette!!! - 04-23-2008, 11:37 PM

Two films that MUST be watched on video for that authentic experience are RINGU and VIDEODROME!!

Can anyone think of other 'Video related' movies that should be watched on this format?

DARE THEY EJECT THEIR TAPES...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ringu220030310.jpg (9.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg vd4.jpg (60.0 KB, 37 views)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

04-24-2008, 01:06 AM

Authentic experience to you is constantly blurry, crappy detail, horrible sound and possibly static?

Doesn't matter what the movie is there's no real reason anyone would choose to watch it on VHS when given the choice. Anyone who chooses to over DVD/Blu-ray counterpart is really just not wanting to let go of a dying format.

VHS adds nothing to the home-video watching experience. Again, the picture quality sucks, your machine can easily kill the tape, the sound is god awful, searching through the movie is a pain in the ass, and you sometimes get a lot of interference and static on the tape making parts of the film completely unwatchable.

Even with those two movies you're not watching what the actors are watching. You're getting it from a 3rd person perspective. It really helps when you can actually read the tiny words on screen, and notice the little details the director wanted you to notice.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-24-2008, 01:17 AM

Wow. Talk about pissing on someone's parade.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

04-24-2008, 01:24 AM

Because I'm going to just keep to myself and lie about the mastery that is the cassette tape to be "nice.".

That's the funny thing about opinions. There's always one out there to disagree with yours. If you can't handle that fact then I guess you're just not ready to voice an opinion.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
XrachelleX (Offline)
i hold it not a sin

04-24-2008, 01:30 AM

Hell Ya!!!!

THE SHINIGAMI CLAN!
pm me if ya wanna be in it

XrachelleX(miyuki)--the death master
emiluvsjmusic(emi)--the humanity taker
SHELKE17(tears of blood)--the tearing heart
auran(Hiugchi)--the cheer taker
NejimaCrazy(Matser X)-sanity destroyer
shinigami13(nemo)-memory hoader
zachart(domogoto killa)-destroyer of light
jene(angel without wings)-blue eyes dragon
court jester of (_) Boring club (_)

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-24-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
Because I'm going to just keep to myself and lie about the mastery that is the cassette tape to be "nice.".

That's the funny thing about opinions. There's always one out there to disagree with yours. If you can't handle that fact then I guess you're just not ready to voice an opinion.
I am not sure why keeping your mouth shut is lying to yourself. There are dozens of threads that I have an opinion on that I purposely keep to myself as my opinion do nothing but hurt feelings for people that feel passionately about something.

If you have read any of Ultraseven's posts (including this one) you would know he likes to make light-hearted posts about Japanese toys and media.

This is a light-hearted post about the nostalgic feelings from certain movies watched on videotape. I feel like you took it as a vehement argument that analog VCR technology is better than HD Blu-Ray technology, (which it isn't) and came down pretty hard on Ultraseven's post.

I chose not to take the wind out of other poster's sails when it is a topic that doesn't interest me, or even if I disgree, and don't feel like I am lying to myself when I do. If you feel like you need to post your opinion on every topic out there, go for it, but I promise you'll get more responses like mine.

That's the last I am going to say on this topic.

To answer the original question, the first VCR releases of the original Star Wars trilogy, (before the updated editions in the late 90s) feel more natural to me on VHS, probably because I saw them so many times that way. (I know it isn't "video-related" but that is the best I could do.)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

04-24-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not sure why keeping your mouth shut is lying to yourself. There are dozens of threads that I have an opinion on that I purposely keep to myself as my opinion do nothing but hurt feelings for people that feel passionately about something.

If you have read any of Ultraseven's posts (including this one) you would know he likes to make light-hearted posts about Japanese toys and media.

This is a light-hearted post about the nostalgic feelings from certain movies watched on videotape. I feel like you took it as a vehement argument that analog VCR technology is better than HD Blu-Ray technology, (which it isn't) and came down pretty hard on Ultraseven's post.

I chose not to take the wind out of other poster's sails when it is a topic that doesn't interest me, or even if I disgree, and don't feel like I am lying to myself when I do. If you feel like you need to post your opinion on every topic out there, go for it, but I promise you'll get more responses like mine.

That's the last I am going to say on this topic.

To answer the original question, the first VCR releases of the original Star Wars trilogy, (before the updated editions in the late 90s) feel more natural to me on VHS, probably because I saw them so many times that way. (I know it isn't "video-related" but that is the best I could do.)
To be frank, I understand where you're coming from. However I've also noticed you tend to be anal about anyone who does something even a centimeter below the scale of "niceness". It makes it extremely difficult to take anything you say as advice. So sorry if I've done something to hurt your perfect little world you'd like to keep in order.

Anyway, if you want to be more on topic care explain how VHS is a better video format than DVD/Blu-Ray?

Also, in case it wasn't picked up before I feel no video "should" be watched on VHS for any kind of authentic experience. I've gone back and watched several of my old VHS movies and aside from those few minutes of nostalgia from wanting to watch it once the movie started playing, (after 2 minutes fast forwarding through all the out-dated trailers and federal warnings about copywrite, mind you) I said to myself "wow, this looks really bad". And it did. It looked so aweful to the point where I remembered everything that happened in the movie and didn't even bother finishing it.

So sorry, no other movies (if any at all) should be watched on VHS.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~

Last edited by Tyrien : 04-24-2008 at 02:20 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-24-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
To be frank, I understand where you're coming from. However I've also noticed you tend to be anal about anyone who does something even a centimeter below the scale of "niceness". It makes it extremely difficult to take anything you say as advice. So sorry if I've done something to hurt your perfect little world you'd like to keep in order.

Anyway, if you want to be more on topic care explain how VHS is a better video format than DVD/Blu-Ray?

Also, in case it wasn't picked up before I feel no video "should" be watched on VHS for any kind of authentic experience. I've gone back and watched several of my old VHS movies and aside from those few minutes of nostalgia from wanting to watch it once the movie started playing, (after 2 minutes fast forwarding through all the out-dated trailers and federal warnings about copywrite, mind you) I said to myself "wow, this looks really bad". And it did. It looked so aweful to the point where I remembered everything that happened in the movie and didn't even bother finishing it.

So sorry, no other movies (if any at all) should be watched on VHS.
If you have notice that, then I feel good about that. Just because we are essentially anonymous doesn't mean we should act like wild baboons. If people act in a way that I think goes beyond the JF rules, I say something. I am not saying, in this case, what you did was against the rules. But it was a little like having someone post "Who is your favorite Smurf?" and you responded with "Transformers would destroy Smurfs." Yes, that may be true, but that wasn't the question.

I don't care to explain how VHS is a better video format than DVD/Blu-Ray because that 1) isn't my belief and 2) isn't the question.

Tyrien, you are probably too young to have a nostalgia for VHS, vinyl records and dial tvs. That's OK. Let the old codgers have their fun.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Odin (Offline)
Lord of the Æsir

Send a message via ICQ to Odin Send a message via AIM to Odin Send a message via MSN to Odin Send a message via Yahoo to Odin Send a message via Skype™ to Odin
04-24-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Tyrien, you are probably too young to have a nostalgia for VHS, vinyl records and dial tvs. That's OK. Let the old codgers have their fun.
Yes, I nod in agreement as I stare at my Betamax machine.

Quote:
You haven't truly lived until you have to get up, to flip over the LaserDisc halfway though StarWars!

The Honored of Valhöll are: Acidreptile: my spiritual brother, smilexfreak7: milaya moya sestra Tsuzuki: my dark goddess,
=Kanji: the eternal wanderer, Zenit: future world conquer, Michieru: self proclaimed mastermind of genius
and the rest of my family in the
~+VaMpiRe ClAn+~

Last edited by Odin : 04-24-2008 at 08:34 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-24-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post

You haven't truly lived until you have to get up, to flip over the LaserDisc halfway though StarWars!
Been there! Done it! many many moons ago!