JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
eyerouge (Offline)
New to JF

Post NC-17 rated movies & screams? - 05-16-2008, 12:27 AM

[First of all, I'd like to apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question, allthough I believe I abide under the rules and I'm 100% sincere when posting this thread.]

This question is purely a sociological one and perhaps about something which could be the result of Japanese culture, in it's wider sense. I'm asking because I'm about to write an article about it on a Swedish site, and I'm Swede myself hence I'm asking you guys:

From what I have been able to see in many Japanese adult movies the actresses scream/squeal/moan a lot more, and most often in a very high pitch, compared to their European and/or North-American colleagues in the same genre. The only difference I have been able to see between the movies is the origin: Whenever a movie is more likely to have been produced in Japan (I assume, I'm "afraid" I'm no expert here...) and have full Japanese cast or at least a Japanese speaking one, they scream/moan louder then they do in movies from Europe/USA.

My questions are:

1. Am I alone in my observation? Is there something to my claim? I know this would vary from movie to movie, but in general this has been the pattern I believe is there.

2. If there is indeed something true with my statement, what would you say the explanation is? Could anyone fill me in - it feels like I'm missing out on something apparent here since I'm a stranger to your culture and also to how sex is seen within it and/or your adult movie industry.

Please don't reply if you're under 18 or if you're clueless: I'm serious and prefer if you are the same as I really want to get an answer to this.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-16-2008, 12:55 AM

That's an interesting study to embark on. I think you may be right about the high pitch. I notice that Japanese tend have females with much higher pitched voice, where as in western films the preference tend to be for the lower. Just think Marlena Deitrich and Mae West. Both were considered the personification of overtly sexy women and they had deep, sultry, even raspy voices.

Maybe because of the tone of the native languages, the ears are more accustomed to those ranges.

I know that my biggest problem with JPop are the girl groups with the high pitched voices. I can't listen to the for very long. In fact, its the high pitched vocals that also kept me from being a Judas Priest fan, despite really getting into the instrumentals.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.