JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Picture2Perfect (Offline)
JF Regular

05-31-2008, 09:46 PM

Yes i too believe tartan is a fabric used to make kilts in Scotland and again support Tsuyako with it being just a part of the name for the dvd label company known as "Tartan Asia" they do a couple of different catergories of Asian films mainly with in the Horror/Gangster and Gore scenes.

Will.

"You don't take a photograph, you make it."
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2008, 10:52 PM

In England, Tartan release many of the Miikie Takashi films, Audition, Dead or Alive, Katakuris, Visitor Q etc. plus many of the standard horror movies like The Ring, Dark Water, The Eye and Tale Of Two Sisters. Other asian films include like Versus, Tetsuo and Oldboy and they also do some very good non-asian films like 'Wisconsin Death Trip' and 'Trauma' which I'm sure nobody's heard of. I guess outside of England they may not be well known, but we sure needed them here.

Oh and the answer to the original question is 'lots'.

Last edited by Haggis : 05-31-2008 at 10:56 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Kaio (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Kaio
06-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Ok so it's the name of the company. Now I'm a little bit smarter again

As for the question I don't think I have seen any of those movies because horror isn't really my choice. I like comedy films more.

(#14 (permalink))
Old
JF Regular

06-01-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
In England, Tartan release many of the Miikie Takashi films, Audition, Dead or Alive, Katakuris, Visitor Q etc. plus many of the standard horror movies like The Ring, Dark Water, The Eye and Tale Of Two Sisters. Other asian films include like Versus, Tetsuo and Oldboy and they also do some very good non-asian films like 'Wisconsin Death Trip' and 'Trauma' which I'm sure nobody's heard of. I guess outside of England they may not be well known, but we sure needed them here.

Oh and the answer to the original question is 'lots'.
Thats cool most of the ones you named then i have, what did you think of Visitor Q, if you have seen it, i was quite shocked but really liked it, basically the reaction i am sure Miike Takashi goes for.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-05-2008, 05:19 PM

I really liked Visitor Q, yeah it's a bit shocking at first and makes you uncomfortable in many places but like many Takashi films it doesn't just shock but brings in elements of humour and even a 'feel good factor' in the way the family discover happiness and bond together.

I suppose Takashi is known for gore and horror, but if you watch his films like 'Young Thugs' and 'Bird People In China' you think they're kind of sweet really.

Anyway, I guess most of the films I've mentioned are the older Tartan releases, what do you think of their newer stuff? Films like Koma, R-Point, Premonition have been ok but not great, but I'm looking forward to seeing "I'm a Cyborg" which is being shown in the cinema this month.

Last edited by Haggis : 06-05-2008 at 05:29 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
JF Regular

06-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
I really liked Visitor Q, yeah it's a bit shocking at first and makes you uncomfortable in many places but like many Takashi films it doesn't just shock but brings in elements of humour and even a 'feel good factor' in the way the family discover happiness and bond together.

I suppose Takashi is known for gore and horror, but if you watch his films like 'Young Thugs' and 'Bird People In China' you think they're kind of sweet really.

Anyway, I guess most of the films I've mentioned are the older Tartan releases, what do you think of their newer stuff? Films like Koma, R-Point, Premonition have been ok but not great, but I'm looking forward to seeing "I'm a Cyborg" which is being shown in the cinema this month.
Yes i totally agree with you, Takashi's films are just like you described they are the perfect film, i just love his stuff.

Yes i prefer the older tartan asia films mainly the films from around the 90's however some of the new stuff is good i quite liked "R point" i felt that brought a brand new fresh storyline about (unless i am mistaken), Koma is also quite good both i have on DVD.

I too cannot wait to watch "I'm a Cyborg" it looks great off topic slightly i also love watching Zhang Yimou's films his directing and picture that he depicts in his films are just beautiful for example the colours he uses in both "House of flying daggers" and "Hero" (what annoys me about Hero is that Zhang Yimou or whoever decided to put presented by Quintin Tarantino just annoys me.

Will.

(#17 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-10-2008, 08:37 PM

I don't watch Asian horror. But I have seen a lot of Tartan Extreme movies. They do bring over some great stuff. I love the Revenge series.