JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Movies & TV (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/)
-   -   I Survived A Japanese Game Show (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-movies-tv/16498-i-survived-japanese-game-show.html)

Nagoyankee 06-19-2008 05:12 AM

I Survived A Japanese Game Show

A friend of mine has just told me about this new TV program in the U.S.

What's the idea behind it? Are we Japanese being rediculed once again? What kind of a country does Japan sound like to many Americans, especially those who have never been to Japan? If a giant like ABC entitles a program, that title has got to mean something. What do the general American public think of when they hear the name 'I Survived A Japanese Game Show'? I seem to get mixed feelings whenever my country's name is used this way.

Here's the link to the program:

I Survived... - ABC this summer, the fun starts here - ABC.com

IonFortuna 06-19-2008 05:27 AM

I have not heard of this!! As far as I know Japanese game show aren't dangerous even though I have never been to Japan.

MMM 06-19-2008 05:35 AM

They won't put americans in danger. It looks like a typical reality game show, only set in Japan.

I Survived... - ABC this summer, the fun starts here - ABC.com

Nyororin 06-19-2008 06:39 AM

I find it quite cringe worthy.

But I guess it`s a product of the popularity of Japanese "game show" skits on Youtube and the like...

I always find it sort of funny that everyone in the US/west doesn`t realize that the people "competing" on those shows are famous to begin with and not just random people pulled in off the street.

Still, just another thing I`ll end up having to answer stupid questions about if I visit the US. *sigh*

Nathan 06-19-2008 09:29 PM

What Nyororin said combined with the general western viewpoint on Japanese style game shows. The Japanese sense of humor is lost on most Westerners (I myself don't fully understand it yet) so they tend to view most Japanese game shows as "wierd", especially the ones involving physical stunts. The average western game show involves sitting on ones arse and answering dull questions after all.

Yet another reason I've stopped watching most new television shows over here.

EveV 06-19-2008 09:38 PM

It seems like an equal opportunity for both countries to make fun of each other.

AsianAtHeart 06-19-2008 09:49 PM

My only question is what kind of person would actually enjoy that?

ABC has done it again. It looks very 'cringe-worthy', as Nyororin said. Also, it is very right that contestants on Japanese game shows are famous to begin with, otherwise there's no real point. I've hardly ever seen one Japanese game show where they have real people as guests (Except this English skit show my friends' boyfriend in Japanese class showed us during break where this white guy was testing the English of people on the street, but of course, that's another story).

Really, we've already done a cheap imitation of sushi, now Japanese TV? *shakes head*

Nyororin 06-19-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianAtHeart (Post 517754)
My only question is what kind of person would actually enjoy that?

The same sort of people who post countless links to "Japanese game show" clips on Youtube, and who have driven their views up into the absurd range.
Cringe worthy it may be, but it doesn`t mean they didn`t look at what was actually popular among their target audience when designing the show.

I do have to say that I would find it quite funny - regardless of the naming and inspiration - if they made some US celebrities with inflated egos run through the hoops.

ShintoCanadianmale 06-22-2008 05:58 AM

tv networks are losing audience and ratings

Ronin4hire 06-22-2008 06:26 AM

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Japanese gameshows are known for being whacky and different. (As opposed to lame Western gameshows like Wheel of Fortune and Who wants to be a millionaire).