Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
OhShnapxRawr (Offline)
New to JF

03-22-2008, 07:29 PM

Oh God, so it is true. My friend told me about it and I was like "Wtf?"

I seriously got a good laugh from that, somehow 'Dragonball Z' and 'live action'
dont mesh well together for me.

I honestly will be surprise if it actually comes out good.

-has no high expectations for the movie what so ever-

This is my signature, pretty spiffy huh?
(#32 (permalink))
Old
CelestialChild (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to CelestialChild
03-22-2008, 07:37 PM

I agree with many people in this thread. I'm certainly interested in seeing a DBZ movie, as I was a huge fan of the series when I was younger, but frankly I'm terrified to see what they will do to it. That's not to say that filmmakers today don't have the capabilities to turn it into something impressive, but how often do our favorite foreign stories receive that kind of justice?

Part of the problem too is that it must cater to a largely western audience. The debate about actors is tricky, I think, especially considering Dragon Ball is set in a fantasy world. If it had specifically been involved with the real-world and specifically called its characters Asian, then I could understand people's frustrations that the actors are not Asian. Otherwise, I think it is more important to have quality actors above anything.

What I'm worried for is rather that they don't change too many original concepts, and don't turn it into something exceedingly corny.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
03-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Just read the updated plot synopsis on imdb:

Quote:
[Based on] The King Piccolo Saga [Dragonball], also known as the Piccolo Daimaoh Saga (Demon Lord Piccolo Saga) is the penultimate saga from the anime Dragonball. It occurs after the Tien Shinhan Saga and precedes the Piccolo Junior Saga. It includes the battles between Goku and King Piccolo's sons, Goku's first encounter with the Samurai warrior, Yajirobe, Goku's quest to find the Holy Water, his final battle with young King Piccolo, and the birth of Piccolo Junior

Appearances also made by Yamcha, Bulma, Krillin and Chi Chi but regretably not Pu'ar or Oolong. Ox King is speculated.

Also a very controversial nude scene with Chi Chi.
...Umm... wasn't Goku still a kid in this saga??? And what the hell is grown up Piccolo doing in it??? o_O This is sooo messed up >_<

(#34 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

03-23-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
That just doesn't make any sense!!! If you're gonna make a movie from an anime, you choose the person that BEST looks like the char. The habbits etc come with acting. As for all anime chars being played by white people, where are you getting that idea from? There are loads of anime's where the chars look asian or black or whatever. Not only white. But even then, that has nothing to do with anything. Chars should be played by people that look similar!
Firstly, how does this actor that is currently going to play Goku, look anything like him. I think you're getting carried away in some fantasy here Just because you see he has some jawline that looks like Goku, it doesn't mean he actually "looks" like him. Hell I say I look more like Goku with my eyes and whatnot, especially when I had hair >.> At the end of the day it is just your opinion, as I stated mine.
Secondly, if that guy can play Goku, he can play anyone else in DB/Z since the characters are all derived from each other. Goku also derives other characters. Therefore what have looks got to do with what actor plays who, especially in DB/Z?
Thirdly, as I said and which you conveniently forget, many Animes DO have people who look White even when they are outright Asian. When a character is supposed to be Western or whatever, it is made known in the Anime. Looks have no bearing on who should play an Anime characters role. For example in Evangelion, Asuka is German and it is made known that she grew up there despite being a quarter Japanese. Can you tell Rei is Japanese or White or whatever when she has the same skin tone? I don't think so but it is evident that she is Japanese, as is Shinji.
So before you say it makes no sense, think again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excessum View Post
...Umm... wasn't Goku still a kid in this saga??? And what the hell is grown up Piccolo doing in it??? o_O This is sooo messed up >_<
The movie is a Dragon Ball, not DBZ movie. Also, there's no such thing as a grown up Piccolo. Piccolo is just Piccolo lol.
He became that way after "King Piccolo" shot out an egg when he was about to die.
Do you know the rest of this story or shall I explain it?

ps. didn't you guys know? There's actually already a live action Dragonball movie lol. It's a foreign one though and isn't anywhere near as good as the "real" thing.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 03-23-2008 at 01:20 AM.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

03-23-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
Firstly, how does this actor that is currently going to play Goku, look anything like him. I think you're getting carried away in some fantasy here Just because you see he has some jawline that looks like Goku, it doesn't mean he actually "looks" like him. Hell I say I look more like Goku with my eyes and whatnot, especially when I had hair >.> At the end of the day it is just your opinion, as I stated mine.
Secondly, if that guy can play Goku, he can play anyone else in DB/Z since the characters are all derived from each other. Goku also derives other characters. Therefore what have looks got to do with what actor plays who, especially in DB/Z?
Thirdly, as I said and which you conveniently forget, many Animes DO have people who look White even when they are outright Asian. When a character is supposed to be Western or whatever, it is made known in the Anime. Looks have no bearing on who should play an Anime characters role. For example in Evangelion, Asuka is German and it is made known that she grew up there despite being a quarter Japanese. Can you tell Rei is Japanese or White or whatever when she has the same skin tone? I don't think so but it is evident that she is Japanese, as is Shinji.
So before you say it makes no sense, think again
Lol, first of all. It is my opinion that your opinion doesn't make sense.

Secondly, what fantasy are you talking about? If you looked more like goku than the current person, then I recommend you show yourself to the director.

Thirdly, Goku isn't asian. He's SAYIAN lol, therefore, he amy seem to have asian habbits, but you certainly can't say he's asian. lol

Fourtly, no, I didn't ignore what you said about most being white. I'm simply not agreeing with that and as I said, even if it were true, so what? I prefer someone to look like the char rather than the person being japanese just because its an anime.

So, "in my opinion", what you're saying doesn't make sense. What I think is more logical is having someone that looks like the char regardless of their ethnicity.

lol, btw, me saying what you're saying doesn't make sense doesn't imply you are wrong if thats what you mean. It just means you're wrong in my eyse!
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
03-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The movie is a Dragon Ball, not DBZ movie. Also, there's no such thing as a grown up Piccolo. Piccolo is just Piccolo lol.
He became that way after "King Piccolo" shot out an egg when he was about to die.
Do you know the rest of this story or shall I explain it?

ps. didn't you guys know? There's actually already a live action Dragonball movie lol. It's a foreign one though and isn't anywhere near as good as the "real" thing.
Explain? Dragonball story? To me? You insolent human... haha... just kidding...

Anywho:
1) Piccolo has more forms than anyone else in the series (With only Buu surpassing it) and you were right about him being born when King Piccolo died (so during that saga he appears only as a egg/kid).... yet he is grown up during the storyline in the movie (at least that what's the synopsis said)... i only assume that the story might skip from the King Piccolo saga to the last world martial arts tournament in DB where teenage Goku fought (teenage) Piccolo...
2) Goku fought King piccolo as a kid (not as a teenager or a grown up) and defeated him, if i recall correctly, with the "dragon fist" attack by going right through him... don't you remember? Yet in the cast only grown up Goku is mentioned (played by Justin Chatwin, as said by a poster before me)... well ok, he could play the teenage part, but definitely not kid Goku... complete mess.
3) Although i know the DBZ story a lot better, than the DB one, my knowledge is more than sufficient to tell the difference.

And i have seen some parts of the Chinese (?) version of DB Live action and well... at least it's funny... pathetic, lame, cheap and corny, but still funny (mostly due to their weak attempts of recreating the characters, the lame humor and story that is totally unrelated to the original anime).

Last edited by Excessum : 03-23-2008 at 10:17 AM.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Thunda (Offline)
Don't bother reading

Send a message via MSN to Thunda
03-23-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Anywho:
1) Piccolo has more forms than anyone else in the series (With only Buu surpassing it) and you were right about him being born when King Piccolo died (so during that saga he appears only as a egg/kid).... yet he is grown up during the storyline in the movie (at least that what's the synopsis said)... i only assume that the story might skip from the King Piccolo saga to the last world martial arts tournament in DB where teenage Goku fought (teenage) Piccolo...
2) Goku fought King piccolo as a kid (not as a teenager or a grown up) and defeated him, if i recall correctly, with the "dragon fist" attack by going right through him... don't you remember? Yet in the cast only grown up Goku is mentioned (played by Justin Chatwin, as said by a poster before me)... well ok, he could play the teenage part, but definitely not kid Goku... complete mess.
3) Although i know the DBZ story a lot better, than the DB one, my knowledge is more than sufficient to tell the difference.

And i have seen some parts of the Chinese (?) version of DB Live action and well... at least it's funny... pathetic, lame, cheap and corny, but still funny (mostly due to their weak attempts of recreating the characters, the lame humor and story that is totally unrelated to the original anime).
A POSTER? IT WAS ME MAN! I'M NOT JUST A POSTER!!

wow,

anyway. Yeasss, but I guess it will be the DBZ movie, called DB.

Man I'm busy as hell. Hit me up on MSN or pm me.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

03-23-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Lol, first of all. It is my opinion that your opinion doesn't make sense.

Secondly, what fantasy are you talking about? If you looked more like goku than the current person, then I recommend you show yourself to the director.

Thirdly, Goku isn't asian. He's SAYIAN lol, therefore, he amy seem to have asian habbits, but you certainly can't say he's asian. lol

Fourtly, no, I didn't ignore what you said about most being white. I'm simply not agreeing with that and as I said, even if it were true, so what? I prefer someone to look like the char rather than the person being japanese just because its an anime.

So, "in my opinion", what you're saying doesn't make sense. What I think is more logical is having someone that looks like the char regardless of their ethnicity.

lol, btw, me saying what you're saying doesn't make sense doesn't imply you are wrong if thats what you mean. It just means you're wrong in my eyse!
Lol Just cos he's Saiyan doesn't mean he can't be asian. If you've seen the TV Specials, there's Black Saiyans too which goes to show they have the same races and whatnot as humans

Anyway your opinion is also non-sense to me, just as mine is to yours If you don't agree that most Anime characters look white but are actually Japanese (look at Naruto for example) then give me a reason why you still disagree.
Another example is Gundamn Wing. All the kids who fight in the Gundams (Heero, Trowa, Quatre, Chang and Duo) have different ethnicities. Quatre is actually an Arab and looks white. Heero is Japanese but looks white. Trowa I have no idea but he looks white. Chang is Chinese but looks white and Duo is the only American is meant to be white anyway.
So it may seem logical to you that an actor look similar to what Anime charater they may be playing but I think the underlying personality should be the same. I just can't picture Justin Chatwin playing the amazingly awesome Goku. On top of that I don't think Goku's hair would suit him either

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#39 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

03-23-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Anywho:

Well it's good to know you don't need it explaining to >.>
There is a bit of a problem though... and that lies with what they're calling it!
It's DB.. get it right Fox >.<
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PosterDragonball.jpg (54.6 KB, 35 views)

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Lazarus (Offline)
I eat drums for breakfast

03-23-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
On top of that I don't think Goku's hair would suit him either
Funnily enough, I read that although some of the actors will be wearing wigs to resemble the characters they are portraying, Justin Chatwin ISN'T wearing one. Because apparently his hair all ready looks like Goku's .

Which means that he is either going to have his hair styled like Goku's (which kind of goes against the laws of gravity) or he is just going to have normal hair. Either way, he really won't look right to us DB fans.

For relaxing times, make it... Santori time.
Closed Thread